American Economic Association: Assistant Director for Information Technology at American Economic Association (Pittsburgh, PA) (Pittsburgh, PA)
Posted: Feb 16, 2020
The person in this role ensures successful implementation and support of IT applications, establishes standards and techniques for improving the development process, and supports decision-making in all areas of information technology and computer systems.
Applicant should have extensive experience with web design, specifically with full-stack LAMP architecture. We are looking for a leader with a practical approach, a solid technical background, and sound management skills. Extensive technical knowledge is essential. Experience within a small- to medium-sized business environment or academic setting is ideal.
Office environment is relaxed, but highly professional. Highly competitive salary. Excellent benefits, including fully covered health-care premiums for individuals, extraordinary employer matching for retirement plan, and generous paid time off.
- Plans, assigns, and directs the tasks and activities of technical personnel involved in the analysis, design, and development of computer applications.
- Reviews and analyzes existing applications and applications being developed to ensure efficiency and effectiveness. Looks for opportunities to enhance business processes.
- Manages the application development team, including supervision, coaching, and performance management.
- Conducts meetings with senior-level management to perform strategic planning and determine project priorities.
- Oversees the entire application development life-cycle--planning, creating, testing, and deploying, including the selection of tools and methodologies.
- Creates a supportive work climate that enables team members to develop professionally.
- Emphasizes quality, creativity, and efficiency.
- Assists director with decision-making in all areas of computer systems.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in IT-related field
- 15+ years of cumulative development and management (or lead) experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, and planning skills
- Expertise with web development
- Experience with database and system administration, with emphasis on UNIX/Linux systems
- Ability to keep up with emerging technologies, security concerns, and updates to existing technologies