InterNations: Backend Developer for the Largest Global Expat Network at InterNations (München, Germany) (München, Germany)
Posted: Mar 22, 2019
Our engineering teams architect, develop and test our products. As a Backend Engineer, your mission is to build scalable and fast backend software.
As a member of an international, cross-functional Product Experience Team (PXT), you will architect, implement and test new functionality and maintain existing functionality using PHP, Symfony 3, MariaDB, RabbitMQ and Solr. Our PXTs organize themselves using SCRUM and you will work closely with your Product Manager and your team on the feasibility of concepts and upcoming changes. You will write automated tests at the unit, integration and acceptance levels to assure quality and longevity of our products and a sustainable pace for future changes.
As part of the greater engineering organization, you will lead and take part in cross-team initiatives: architectural changes, refactoring, establishment of best practices. You will be mentoring less experienced colleagues and support their growth.
What we are looking for:
- relevant experience in a language like PHP, Java, Scala, Python or Ruby, willingness to work mostly with PHP
- relevant experience with a modern web framework like Symfony 3, Zend Framework 2, Laravel, Rails, Spring, Django
- experience and/or strong interest in working with big datasets in relational databases, search indexes or key-value stores
- experience and/or strong interest in distributed systems and scalability
- experience and/or strong interest with automated testing, be it unit-, functional- and/or acceptance testing
- a strong display of engineering discipline and rigor
What we value:
- bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- user testing, experimentation, automated testing and continuous integration to gain meaningful feedback for what we do
- fostering collaboration and cooperativeness
Technology we use: PHP 7, Symfony 3, MariaDB, Solr, RabbitMQ, Redis, Memcached, Composer, Behat, PHPUnit
- 28 paid vacation days + special paid leave
- conveniently located office
- regular team events and trips
- Albatross Membership for team members and their partners
- XING Premium membership
- training sessions, team library, cross-departmental projects & exchanges
- support with visa application
- in-house yoga and German classes, discounts for gyms and a tae kwon do studio
At InterNations, you’ll be working in a friendly atmosphere geared to bring out your creativity and independence. With our flat organizational structure, you’ll have a lot of room to pursue your own ideas. If you’re a working parent, you’ll find the flexibility you need to support your work-life balance. Start your work week off on the right foot with a weekly team breakfast and get your creative juices going with a free flow of coffee. When inspiration strikes, bounce around new ideas over a game of table football. And as we value building strong connections between our team members, you can look forward to a regular lunch lottery, language tandems, and an annual team-building activity.
Then start the conversation by sending in your application today. Don’t forget to include your CV, a cover letter, a possible start date and your salary expectation. Tell us about past projects you contributed to and are proud of. We also like to hear about what kind of work environment you thrive in and what technologies you find interesting right now.