Bending Spoons: Backend Software Engineer at Bending Spoons (Milano, Italy) (Milano, Italy)
Posted: Jul 11, 2018
We’re aiming to become the #1 in the world at developing and publishing mobile apps. How could software engineering not be at the very core of this enormously ambitious mission? Already serving millions of users and adding tens of thousands every day, we rely on our exceptional engineers to build next-generation tools that will make us the most effective and efficient workforce in the industry. With bigger and bigger frontiers to conquer, we’re looking for passionate, bright, and driven software engineers that are eager to bring our tools and infrastructure to the next level.
A few examples of your responsibilities:
- Take an active role in identifying the tooling and infrastructural needs of the company, and participate in defining the plan to fulfil them.
- Help define the software architecture of new tools or that of new features for existing tools, and then develop them. The work spans broadly from the most infrastructure- or backend-oriented to the development of complex front-ends.
- Constantly improve the quality of our tools and infrastructure by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary.
- Expand our set of libraries as needed to make yourself as well as other engineers more efficient and effective.
- Stay informed on new, relevant technologies and test the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities to boost our productivity and the enjoyment of our work.
What We Offer
- Huge impact. Your tools and infrastructure will be powering our entire organization in its serving millions of users and pursuing market domination. Will that get you out of bed excited in the morning?
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. You’ll get the chance to learn (and teach to!) some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Cool tech stack. We strive to use the best, most modern tools and technologies, and when they fall short of our expectations we invent our own. It’s a geek’s paradise.
- Own products. We don’t work for clients, but only develop our own apps. Freed from politics, we can move fast and be daring.
- Fun, young environment. We have near-zero hierarchy and a very relaxed workplace. Also, we’re 28 years old on average and often hang out together, so you might actually end up making new friends!
- Top-notch office. Our office is amazing! We designed it ourselves and it goes beyond excellent functionality by offering all sorts of amenities, such as foosball tables and gaming consoles.
- International reach. Our audience is wildly international. Our company language is English. We’re a global reality.
What We Look For
- Passion for the topic. You have a long-standing, proven passion for writing software. It’s a big plus if you have a demonstrated interest in developing tools, complex front-ends, or infrastructures.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and look to understand stuff truly in depth.
- Drive. You’re energetic, hard-working, and persevere through adversity until the job is done, and done well. You get turned on by getting results, and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Pragmatism. Far from being too academic or obsessive in your perfectionism, you understand that, when getting things done in a competitive world, speed is often as important as quality.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring and you’re entrepreneurial in seeking out new opportunities and testing new ideas of your own accord. You don’t just wait to be told what to do all the time.
- Attention to detail. You care to develop quality user experiences for your colleagues, go the extra mile to learn what they need, and tend to notice the details that make a difference.
- Diligence, organization. You can blindly be entrusted with big responsibilities as well as small, more menial tasks.
- Humbleness. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to people’s feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to get your hands dirty with whatever the team needs to succeed.
- Proficient in English. You read and write proficiently, and speak at a conversational level in English.