Northwestern Mutual: Business Intelligence Tools Engineer at Northwestern Mutual (Franklin, WI) (Franklin, WI)
Posted: Jul 17, 2017
What's the role?
As a Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer, you will function as an infrastructure engineer on one or more of the following technologies, Informatica Powercenter, Business Objects, and/or SAS. This involves designing system solutions, implementing new features, resolving complex incidents and problems, responding to infrastructure monitoring and alertss, and consultation with application support and development staff. You will also have the opportunity to learn and work with other BI and database technologies as architectural and engineering design needs arise. Applying established best practices, you will take charge of build decisions, infrastructure design for larger, more complex systems to achieve strategic objectives in the areas of service management, risk management and project delivery. As a strategic thinker, you will move between diverse tasks with cooperation and persistence, helping to bring out the best in those around you.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 6 years experience in Systems Administration or Systems Engineering.
- Technical Skills:
- Experience resolving complex problems logically and methodically, and good judgment to involve and communicate with vendors, internal teams and management.
- Highly skilled in at least one of the following technologies, Informatica Powercenter, Business Objects and/or SAS administration including design, installation, patching/upgrade, configuration, monitoring, performance tuning and trouble shooting.
- Ability to write complex shell scripts for maintenance automation and testing.
- Ability to design, implement and maintain Business Continuity Plan (BCP) and provide support for BCP exercises and actual disaster recovery.
- Professional Skills:
- Ability to drive innovation for system improvements, determine architectural and design best practices, find automation opportunities and guide proper use of new features
- Competency in ITIL processes: Incident, Problem, Knowledge and Change Management
- Awareness of Service Management target metrics
- Ability to work in agile teams by defining and planning work on a team backlog, and determining ways for the team to be successful in meeting its outcomes
- Experience working in an Agile environment preferred (i.e. SAFe, SCRUM, XP, Kanban, SCRUMban)
- Strong focus on teamwork and collaboration skills
- Ability and willingness to learn and develop new mindsets and skills
- Ability to be self-directed and collaborative in ambiguous situations
- Monitors and refines processes, procedures, and systems to optimize effectiveness and/or integrity and recommends and/or implements improvements.
- Participate in security audits by assisting investigations, evaluating evidence, developing responses and action plans, and making appropriate modifications to technology, processes, and documentation.
- Participate in defining architectural roadmaps for technology based on business needs and industry trends
- Mentoring and training of other administrators, managing task assignments, review workload and providing input to the management team.