Zava: Cloud Infrastructure Engineer - Medtech, help us revolutionise healthcare! at Zava (London, UK) (London, UK)
Posted: Apr 15, 2019
At Zava we believe in giving people the power and confidence to treat the conditions society judges most. Every day we treat thousands of people across Europe who feel let down by the ‘old’ way of doing healthcare - phone calls, paper prescriptions, bureaucracy, waiting and worrying.
We’ve built an online medical platform that connects patients with doctors, pharmacies and test laboratories - providing safe, efficient and non-judgemental care to over 2.0 million patients in 6 countries and counting.
You'll have noticed the title and nothing in this job description mentions "DevOps". That is for a reason! We strongly believe in "DevOps" being a practice and not a role.
You believe in infrastructure as code and that while you’re great writing docker container definitions, you shouldn’t be the only one writing them.
Can you even remember the last time you manually changed a setting on a server directly?
We have started building out our future platform and there are plenty of opportunities to drive the technological direction we are going to. Lots of systems to design and build.
We are a team implementing standard industry practices and tools, open for improvement and dialog, in a positive and fun environment.
Would you like to grow, scale and learn with us?
Who Will You Be Working With
Your main interactions are with Infrastructure and QA Engineers within your team and Engineers across the organisation.
In addition, you’re expected to interact with other key stakeholders including:
- Agile Coach
- Data Analyst
- Head of Development
- Communicate and collaborate with engineers and technical leads to ensure our applications and environments are stable, scalable, secure and performing as expected
- Build and maintain infrastructure that supports our applications, working to ensure seamless integration between in-house and client facing systems
- Proactively engage and, when required, work in alignment with product teams to understand their requirements, contributing to and providing suitable supporting solutions.
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack - hardware, software, applications and network.
- Implement robust security measures for our infrastructure components. Being responsible for maintaining compliance with environmental security and trustworthy computing policies
- Seek to enhance, improve and drive efficiencies in our infrastructure, including automation, striving for a self-healing, redundant setup
- Develop and introduce systems to aid and facilitate rapid growth including implementation of deployment policies, designing and implementing new procedures, configuration management and planning of patches and for capacity upgrades
- Ensure suitable levels of monitoring and alerting are in place to keep Infrastructure and Engineering teams aware of issues. Work with teams to establish runbooks and procedures to keep outages to a minimum.
- Monitor the security of our system, ensuring we can always respond to any potential threats
- Linux Server Administration
- Linux Containers (Docker)
- Bash scripting
- Implement and manage continuous integration and deployment systems (we use Jenkins and CodeDeploy)
- Understanding and implementation of security controls
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems on AWS (We use ELK, NewRelic and CloudWatch)
- Implement systems that are highly available, scalable, and self healing on the AWS platform (EC2, ECS including Fargate, RDS, FAAS)
- Infrastructure as Code by using Terraform (we also use Ansible)
- Problem-solving: Debugging and Analysis of issues and performance problems
- Governance processes and Compliance validation
- Infrastructure testing
- Database Administration (AWS Aurora, MySQL, RedShift)