Sandia National Laboratories: Computing Infrastructure Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA) (Livermore, CA)
Posted: Jul 17, 2017
We are seeking an IT Computing Infrastructure Engineer to join one of the teams within the Information Systems & Services department reporting to the department manager. The specific function related to this position delivers a broad range of custom IT services tailored to meet needs of the mission areas operating at the Livermore site. The team gathers requirements, designs, deploys, and manages solutions which often include a Windows and/or Linux-based system administration component.
The selected candidate, in collaboration with other IT organizations, can expect to perform a diverse set of leadership tasks:
- Carrying out day to day activities associated with supporting multiuser windows computing environments and ensuring continuous, optimal performance of IT services and support systems.
- Working closely with counterparts within the organization, as well as with other IT organizations such as Cyber Security, Enterprise Computing, and networking to ensure a robust, secure, and reliable IT environment.
- Engaging current customers to assess performance of service delivery and implementing process improvements for improved performance.
- Engaging potential customers to gather requirements and implement system improvements to meet customer needs.
- Bachelor's degree, or master’s degree, in relevant discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with Windows client and server administration, including system setup, application installation, troubleshooting, account management, and general IT systems maintenance and operations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q security clearance.
- Experience and understanding of system virtualization technologies
- Experience and understanding of network management (e.g. DNS, AD, etc.)
- Familiarity with fiber network principles and implementation
- Familiarity with computer aided drafting applications (e.g. CREO, etc.)
- ITIL experience (e.g. incident management, change management, service level agreements, etc.)
- Remedy BMC software experience
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience in effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to develop and nurture effective relationships internal and external to the organization
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT