Sandia National Laboratories: Data Scientist (Experienced) at Sandia National Laboratories (Livermore, CA) (Livermore, CA)
Posted: Jul 17, 2017
We seek a Computer Scientist with a focus in in applied mathematics, computer science, and information sciences. The successful candidate will be a quintessential member of a team focused on advancing the frontiers of continuous data science research. Drawing from a broad set of fields and tools, the Data Scientist will conduct research in areas including graph analysis, machine learning, multilinear algebra, statistics, reduced order modeling, numerical optimization, sampling and streaming methods, uncertainty quantification, and high performance computing, with application to analysis of continuous numerical and physical data sets. Research opportunities extending to non-von Neumann architectures (such as neuromorphic and quantum computing) and their intersection with data science are additional areas of relevant research. Successful staff are expected to demonstrate technical, programmatic, and operational leadership for high impact to National Security Programs, as well as publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals and contribute to the library of open-source software.
The staff member will be responsible for planning, conducting, and executing the work as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Data Science department. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline; or Bachelor’s and Master's degrees in these disciplines plus two years' relevant experience;
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise;
- Programming experience in C++, C, Java, MATLAB, R, or a related language;
- Ability to travel up to 25%;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q and other government agency (OGA) security clearances.
- Ph.D. preferred
- Strong academic performance (i.e. high GPA);
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment;
- Record of advancing the state-of-the-art in network and graph analysis, machine learning, applied statistics, applied mathematics, and other related fields of study;
- Demonstrated ability to acquire, prepare, and characterize real-world data for subsequent analysis;
- Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT