IMC Trading: Data Services Software Engineer at IMC Trading (Amsterdam, Netherlands) (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Posted: Apr 9, 2019
IMC – Where Technology drives Trading
Trading nowadays happens in a highly competitive technological landscape; the best trading idea alone doesn’t cut it anymore. Instead, only the best trading ideas that are enabled via robust, scalable and fast technology win.
Do you enjoy the process of problem-solving, a process where you recognize areas of improvement and iterate and innovate to improve? Does your curiosity and desire to learn drive you?
DATA SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AT IMC:
As a software engineer in our Data Services team you’ll create and maintain data services that empower IMC’s innovation and research. That will involve:
- Developing and extending in-house data toolkits based in Java, Kotlin and Python.
- Integration with services and systems built on C++.
- Consulting with traders and developers on data solutions: assist them in identifying a solution which best matches both their problem space and our internal data infrastructure and guide them in building and deploying that solution most effectively.
- Improve the usability of financial analytics platforms built around our big-data ecosystem.
- Identify, develop and implement evolutionary and revolutionary improvements to IMC’s data infrastructure.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- IMC is on the cutting edge of financial applications, processing terabytes of data daily for mission-critical trading
- We always aim to use the right tools for the trade, regardless of hype. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will often try, adopt and incorporate that new technology.
- We work end to end. On the Data Services team you will be involved in every stage of developing your solutions, from architecture to implementation. You are empowered to make decisions and improve the solution at every layer, from the API down to the hardware.
- The landscape is always changing creating new and exciting challenges. What we focus on today is very different than what we focused on two years ago.
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared globally between our offices, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- Working at IMC is a great way to gain exposure to and learn about financial markets and technology. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Strong development skills in Java and Python. C++ development skills are considered a plus.
- Experience working in a Hadoop 2 environment, with at least basic knowledge of cluster service management.
- 2+ year of experience with Hadoop SQL interfaces including Hive and Impala is preferable
- 2+ years of experience developing solutions using Spark is preferable
- Experience with common Python-based data-science toolkits is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and conduct root-cause analysis.
- User-focused: driven to deliver a usable product to users, rather than by technology itself.
- Experience developing with Apache Kafka and experience with Containerization and Docker are considered a plus.
We are at the core a trading firm, however we value trading and technology equally and we believe that cooperation between traders and technologists is one of our great strengths. This is also reflected in our organizational and remuneration policies. We believe in fostering a truly flat environment in which great ideas can be recognized as well as put into practice from anybody within our organization.
WHO WE ARE:
IMC is among the world’s leading technology-driven trading firms, and a market maker in securities listed on exchanges across the globe. Our cutting-edge technology drives everything we do. High-performance algorithms, smart strategies and collaborative teams are the core of our business.
Today, IMC is 500+ people working together to build software and trade financial products in our offices in Amsterdam, Chicago and Sydney. What does this mean for you? The chance to join a multi-national, multi-cultural team of exceptional individuals, focused on making IMC the world’s best trading firm.