Data Visualization Designer
Posted: Oct 9, 2019
About Surgo: Surgo Foundation is an 'action tank' focused on using the latest innovations around behavior, tech, and data to drive change in communities with limited resources. With a laser focus on uncovering the 'why', we partner with organizations and governments to help unlock some of the world's toughest challenges, from improving maternal health to reducing the spread of Tuberculosis. Our multidisciplinary team includes public health experts, data scientists, behavioral scientists, and technologists who are skilled in collecting and interpreting data on why people behave the way they do and how complex systems work, and in developing scalable tools. We are a small team having an outsized impact.
The Role: We are searching for a talented data visualization designer who can help create powerful, compelling data visualizations and stories to move people to action. This person will help us rethink the way we share our insights with a variety of audiences, including partner organizations, funders, and conferences across the globe. This role will help us create a seamless journey for our audiences, using a variety of mediums in service of telling a story with data such as charts, interactives, and maps.
This role is ideal for someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves and help bring Surgo's data visualizations and storytelling to the next level. Ultimately, we are looking for someone who can help us get our audiences to that 'Ah ha' moment. A passion for t and translating complex topics into easy-to-understand visuals key. You will also need to be able to clearly and concisely express yourself and explain your ideas to both technical and non-technical team members.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be leading the creative process from ideation to final delivery for print, digital, and other media. You will also be collaborating closely with our research and program teams to bring Surgo's insights to life. Experience visualizing complex data and working with technical stakeholders is a must. This role is a rare position that gives you the opportunity to be both strategic and work directly on content at the same time. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to grow their skills and work in the social impact sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Translate complex, data-focused insights into simple yet compelling visualizations across print and interactive mediums that can be shared with a wide variety of audiences.
- Employ a variety of methods (charts, web platforms, interactives, etc.) to communicate quantitative insights into clear stories
- Lead creative projects from ideation to final delivery including scoping requirements, budgeting, creating project plans and monitoring to ensure that deliverables are on time and meet the organization's quality standards.
- Collaborate with and support our technical teams using your creative expertise
- Develop creative, innovative user-centric designs in response to project requirements, user analyses, product innovation, and Foundation marketing.
- Refine Surgo's visual language and ensure consistency across all mediums and communications - presentations, website, external documents, etc.
- Perform other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- High level of proficiency in data visualization and graphic design. Previous experience designing data visualizations and working with stakeholders from technical teams. General understanding of data and statistical methods
- Ability to critically think about numbers and data analytics and convert conclusions into compelling visuals.
- 1-2 years of experience creating data visualizations from large, complex data sets
- Excellent project management skills with an understanding of creative disciplines and client services and a strong ability to translate complex and abstract concepts into simple and well communicated visual presentations
- Able to bring and maintain appropriate and consistent brand voice, tone, and styles across all mediums
- Agile, detail and goal-oriented personality, driven to succeed and always up for a challenge
- Willingness to role up their sleeves to take on a variety of tasks
- Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively in a flat organization
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
Reporting: The Data Visualization Designer will report to the Director of Programs.
Location: Washington DC, USA
Interested candidates: Please send resume, cover letter, and portfolio to [email protected] with "Data Visualization Designer" in the subject line.
Our Hiring Philosophy
We hire for passion and core competencies. We look for problem solvers and lateral thinkers. We love it if you have done different things with your time. If you think you are ideal for this position, write to us even if you don't have all of the above requirements.
Do you have a deep passion for improving the lives of people who live in extreme poverty around the world?
Do you want to work in one of the most entrepreneurial development organizations?
Are you willing to roll up your sleeves and be part of a core team that grows this organization, and grow with it?
Are you a problem solver by nature? Do you live and breathe data and see patterns in it that others don't?
Would people say you are one of the most analytic, curious and creative people they know?
If yes...we look forward to hearing from you...
Equal Opportunity and Diversity Policy
Surgo believes a diverse, inclusive staff makes us a stronger team and more impactful organization. We're committed to a diverse team, and qualified people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, languages, social class, marital status, religions, veterans status, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications: Accepted on a rolling basis
Desired start date: As soon as possible