Posted: Jul 20, 2022
NEXT AVAILABLE OPENING:
Fall 2022 (Sep 12 ? Dec 9)
Future internship opportunities:
- Spring 2023 (Jan 9 ? Apr 14)
- Summer 2023 (May 15 ? Aug 11)
- Fall 2023 (Sep 11 ? Dec 8)
Are you a passionate, hard-working individual pursuing a career in design? Are you interested in gaining real design experience in an agency setting? If so, this internship may be for you!
There is no "one description fits all" when it comes to Deksia's design internship. Each intern's experience is unique to their interests and growth path! Design duties may also vary from project to project ? you may be tasked with laying out business cards for a new brand one day and then mocking up a landing page for a digital campaign the next.
Need more incentive?
Our past interns are now working at places like Hy-Vee, Meijer Corporate, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Da Bomb, Hello Cheshire, and Zulily.
And hold titles like:
- Graphic Designer
- Creative Content Lead
- User Experience/ Interaction Designer
- Creative Director
- Multimedia Designer
- UI/ UX Designer
- Freelance Designer
Skills or character traits we want to see in you
A minimum of 2+ years of study in a design or art-related field is strongly preferred.
Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
Adobe Suite experience (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and/or XD)
Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
You must be able to resolve issues quickly and effectively ? especially when feedback is coming from multiple sources.
Time management & organizational skills
Although we do have a stellar project management team to back you up, your organization skills still need to be on point in order to keep your clients (and team) on track.
And most importantly...
- I get it: I understand the inner workings, systems, and responsibilities of my position
- I want it: I love to do my job
- I have the capacity for it: I have the mental, physical, and emotional ability to do my job
Skills / experience that gets us excited
Do you have experience with any of the following? If so, let us know!
- Marketing and brand development experience
- Advertising agency experience
- Web development, including HTML and CSS
- User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design
- Familiarity with Google Workspace tools such as Drive, Gmail, Docs, and Sheets
- Experience using Teamwork, Asana, Trello, or another project management software
- Familiarity with the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS)
What can I expect to learn?
You'll beef up your resume with these in-demand skills.
- Understanding design principles, color theory, and layout
- Mastering design software, especially Adobe Creative Suite
- Being able to incorporate feedback from multiple sources into visual designs
- Managing projects that include cross-functional teams
- Potential experience designing collateral such as white papers, brand architectures, web mockups, social media posts, and more!
Culture check - How does Deksia measure success?
Every 30 days you'll speak to your manager to discuss the following:
Core Values. Are you living up to our Core Values?
- I support my community internally and externally
- I strive to be and do my best
- I make it fun
Department Roles. When in doubt, everything the Design team does revolves around these 4 things:
- Make archetype driven choices
- Continuously reference published solutions
- Make everything you touch better
- Ask questions to fully understand projects
Weekly Performance. Are you getting your work done?
- I maintain up-to-date records as it pertains to my department
- I carry out daily and weekly tasks as assigned to me
- I complete end-of-week surveys and log my time
- 3-month internship ? With potential to grow into a full-time position!
- Flexible work environment ? Deksia proudly functions on an office/ work-from-home hybrid
- Part-time (15-20 hours per week) ? Set a schedule that works best for you
- Unpaid internship ? available for college credit
Where is Deksia located?
Our Design team is based out of our Des Moines, IA office.
We also have offices located in Grand Rapids, MI and Indianapolis, IN.