EMS Software: Director of Development at EMS Software (Centennial, CO) (Centennial, CO)
Posted: Mar 20, 2017
EMS Software is consistently delivering new features to its suite of products and we want to grow our team, tackle even bigger challenges and do amazing things. We work in small, concentrated teams to constantly improve our code base and have amassed a large backlog of interesting technical challenges and product initiatives. We want to grow to enable even greater success within our industry. This is where you come in.
Come help us build an engineering team that is fun, innovative and fast paced! We are looking for a knowledgeable, passionate, and creative Director of Development to help us build a quality-driven culture and create best-in-class enterprise software. Reporting directly to the VP of Development, you will be responsible for championing new technologies and process while balancing the need to tackle technical debt. You will be a hands-on leader who is technically adept and has the desire and capability to mentor every individual on the team.
Your responsibilities will focus on 4 main areas:
- Build out a professional development process and execute it for our flagship product.
- Assess and refine our Agile/SCRUM process by working with product management, support and QE.
- Direct your development resources (and grow them) by mentoring them and introducing new technologies and processes.
- Direct your development resources to become more efficient and help your project leads make better tradeoffs on a week-to-week basis.
Leadership Through Data
- Create breakdowns of our spending and work with Product Management to capture ROI; evangelize to senior leadership.
- Reflect corporate strategies into tangible metrics that you report on regularly.
- Expose data around the state of the software, team, and processes to your team to empower them to improve.
- Help us architect our next-generation software.
- Drive a test-driven development approach on new development.
- Adopt a CI/CD mindset that is more advanced (and more beneficial) than our current dev ops mentality to speed up deployments, reduce total cost of ownership, and maintain quality.
Challenges that this role help solves:
Our flagship software generates eight figures in revenue annually, and it needs your architectural leadership to drive stability and innovation.
- Our software offering includes many different products. As we change the underlying structure of the software stack from monolithic to smaller, more manageable microservices, we need hands-on architectural oversight to make sure we are building a strong technical foundation and reducing technical debt.
- We need your brainpower to accomplish the greatest value for the business with the most efficient investment of resources, which might include introducing better technologies to our stack.
- Help the VP of Development by providing day-to-day direction of your team and working with other internal teams.
In your first...
- 30 days, you will learn our products, our processes, our customer obligations, the strengths and weaknesses of your team, and our technical debt. By the end of this period, you will take over all day-to-day development activity, interface with both internal groups and customers, and be responsible for direction and reporting on the health of the system and the team.
- 60 days, with the help of the VP of Development, you will carve out the direction that you want to take the team, the product architecture, and the processes. Then you’ll go full steam ahead, balancing your resource allocations across all projects.
- 3 - 12 months, you will flesh out a detailed people and technology roadmap.