Comcast: Engineer 2, Software Dev and Engineering at Comcast (Philadelphia, PA) (Philadelphia, PA)
Posted: Jun 24, 2019
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world’s best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Do you have a real passion for building tools and products to improve the Customer Experience (CX), User Experience (UX), and Quality? Are you an “outside of the box thinker”? If yes, then join our team of highly skilled software development engineers who collaborate closely to solve complex problems which may impact our customers and develop user focused tools and applications to make it easier to identify, triage and resolve issues which impact our customers’ experience. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize CX, and our goal to lead the future in user-centric design, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
- Contribute to teams responsible for maintaining the development and engineering of Java-based applications that provide customer care and service support for Comcast Cable’s X1 platform and RDK-based devices;
- Utilize Agile and DevOps methodologies to perform Java-based software development and quality assurance testing utilizing software development and open source technologies including Java, Spring , Spring batch, Spring boot, Spring Security, REST, JQuery, JQuery UI, Angular, Active MQ, Spark, Scala, and Kafka;
- Develop database solutions utilizing MongoDB, Elastic Search, Oracle, MariaDB, SQL, MemSQL and REDIS technologies;
- Design cloud-computing systems;
- Provide “Software as a Service” (SaaS) solutions by supporting Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Database as a Service (DBaaS) offerings;
- Provide repair solutions and troubleshoot and resolve customers’ service issues proactively and reactively;
- Ensure development and testing best practices;
- Interface with Senior Engineers and Architects in evaluating software packages, defining solutions, and designing extensible architectures;
- Meet with team members during daily stand-up meetings to review completed and in-progress development tasks and any blockers that need to be addressed;
- Engage in progressive software development and engineering review processes;
- Attend and participate in Agile/Scrum ceremonies including backlog grooming, sprint planning, sprint tasking, sprint demos, and retrospective processes.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
- Contribute to teams responsible for maintaining the development and engineering of Java-based applications that provide customer care and service support for Comcast Cable’s X1 platform and RDK-based devices
- Perform backend and web development using the technologies mentioned in job summary or any new technologies decided by the team
- Interface with Senior Engineers and Architects in evaluating software packages, defining solutions, and designing extensible architecture
- Ensure best development and testing practices
- Meet with team members during daily stand-up meetings to review completed and in-progress development tasks and any blockers that need to be addressed; engage in progressive software development and engineering review processes
- Attend and actively participate in Agile/Scrum ceremonies including backlog grooming, sprint planning, sprint tasking, sprint demos, and retrospective processes
- Excellent team collaboration, analysis, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Solve problems independently and pro-actively look for ways to improve our products, platforms
- Self-driven and proactive with a high level of initiative and intellectual curiosity. Able to develop solutions and generate new and unique ideas, continuous learning and keeping up to date with current technologies and its application on the project, personal desire and drive to produce amazing work
- Strong presentation, documentation and verbal communications skills
- Leads operational readiness testing. Resolves basic issues uncovered during testing and escalates issues to engage appropriate resources.
- Identifies potential instrumentation, automation, and standardization required for successful implementation of projects or continued stabilization of deployed products.
- Works towards industry standard certifications and education.
- Works with peer operational teams on project implementation.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field;
- Generally requires 3-5 years' related experience.
- Preferred having experience utilizing Agile and DevOps methodologies to perform full-stack Java-based software development and quality assurance testing utilizing any of the following technologies: Java, Spring , Spring boot, Spring Security, REST, Angular, Active MQ, Spark and Kafka;
- Developing database solutions utilizing the any of following technologies: Oracle, MariaDB, SQL, and MemSQL;
- Developing database solutions utilizing any of these technologies: MongoDB, Elastic Search and REDIS;
- Supporting Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings is a plus;
- Designing cloud-computing systems;
- Experience in quality assurance practices: Unit Testing, Integration Testing, End-to-End Functional Testing.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer