Dubizzle - an OLX company: Engineering Team Lead at Dubizzle - an OLX company (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
Posted: Jan 6, 2019
Are you a people person and genuinely enjoy helping others grow? Are you a thought leader? Have you managed teams of developers ? Can you solve any task thrown at you, irrespective of complexity or scale? Do you mentor and lead those in your team and push the boundaries of perfection? Do you know which corners can and can't be cut? Can you balance technical ambitions with business objectives?
As a Team Lead you present yourself as a strong leader, demonstrate deep practical engineering knowledge and have a proven track record for timely project delivery and project management. You'll be asked to harness your insight into technology and collaborate with Product Managers to make products that enrich the lives of our users, leveraging multiple cross-disciplinary streams to achieve our technological and business vision.
Delivering A-class products that scale to millions of users, applying new industry trends and challenging your peers are all part of the daily gig. Our Team Leads conceive, design and deliver the most complex products within their stream. They have an intimate knowledge of the business domain and always put our user's experience first.
A Team Lead is an expert in building great teams: by understanding the dynamics of the teams and harnessing strengths of each team member to make them an efficient unit. She/He understands and believes in our core values, is a proponent of empowering the team to make the right decisions.
- Gather up-to-date and in-depth understanding of the dubizzle code base and technologies and of industry trends;
- Provide and share a broad knowledge of technologies and architectures and function as a mentor within the scope of your product stream and with the rest of the Packs;
- Collaborate with Chief Architect and together ensure that we always deliver software of the highest standards;
- Promote companywide coding standards, guidelines and best practices;
- Demonstrate technical leadership and mentorship by setting challenging but realistic goals and guiding the team efforts towards successful project delivery;
- Monitor the performance of team members. Identify and encourage areas for growth and personal development;
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of a project and scope;
- Create optimal working environment and methodologies for the assigned product vertical team
- Impact on the direction and scope of dubizzle’s technical vision within your stream;
- Shaping strong cross-functional packs in line with business needs;
- Collaborating closely with Product, Infrastructure, Design, UX, CLM and Strategy to deliver highest quality products;
- Hiring A-players to build High Performing Teams, constantly raising the bar of engineering talent;
- Owning our business KPIs as a conduit to our Product team and business functions;
Practical / Technical knowledge
- In-depth understanding of free and open-source web application frameworks, e.g. Ruby on Rails, Django and/or Java or Objective C
- Knowledgeable of scalability and high availability systems;
- Source code control, build process management, continuous integration, automated testing and other development process;
- Knowledge of UML diagrams, code, unit tests, etc;
- Good understanding of leadership, coaching and mentoring principles;
- Understanding of good product, design and UX principles;
Planning, organizing and integrating (managerial) knowledge
- Leadership skills;
- Analytical thinking;
- Project management;
- Conceptual thinking;
- Detail oriented.
- People Mangement
- 8+ years of mobile application, front-end and/or back-end software engineering experience;
- 2 to 3 years of experience in managing teams of software developers.
- Experience working on high-traffic and large-scale web products;
- Experience with Agile Methodologies such as Kanban, Scrum and XP;
- Technical leadership and mentorship experience is a must;
- Experience in analysis, design, coding and implementation of next generation web applications in Python;
- Proven track record for timely project delivery and project management;
- Drive for innovation and insight into new and old technologies;
Accountability (freedom to act, scope and impact)
- Maintain and ensure optimal software quality within the assigned product;
- Mentor and develop a product vertical team of excellent front end and back end engineers that deliver high-quality code;
- Deliver on product vertical team KPIs and objectives; in line with the overall company’s objectives;
- Be accountable for the attrition rate of his team and the department;
- Coach individuals in the team to become the next wave of leaders;
Education and training
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent field
Improve the world.