University of California, Berkeley: Front End Developer (7300U) 26209 at University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) (Berkeley, CA)
Posted: Jan 3, 2019
Front End Developer (7300U) 26209
Univ Dev and Alumni Rel
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 19, 2018
University Development and Alumni Relations builds Berkeley’s excellence and character by strengthening relations with alumni, parents, and friends of the University, raising public awareness about Berkeley, and increasing private philanthropy. The Marketing Communications provides web, design, editorial, e-communications, social media, and constituent and donor relations services to support the entire spectrum of the fundraising enterprise at Berkeley. The services include applications & tools for donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship as well as consultation on a broad range of marketing communications strategies.
As employees of Berkeley, we are part of an institution that uncovers new knowledge, conducts groundbreaking research, shifts the global conversation every single day, and redefines what is possible.
Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater. As employees of Berkeley, when we reimagine the possibilities of our own world, we shape the one around us. Reimagine your world at Berkeley.
Web Application development - Designs, develops, modifies, debugs and evaluates complex programs. Responsibilities include:
• Analyzes existing programs or works to formulate logic for new systems, devises logic procedures, prepares flowcharting, performs coding, data analysis, and tests/debugs programs through the application of professional programming concepts.
• Develops and executes moderately complex test plans
• Provides analysis for the design and use of relational databases
• Understands industry practices and department policies and procedures relating to work assignments
• Performs security updates, troubleshoots systems and performs application maintenance
• Performs complex data modeling, performance and integration testing and builds screens for a variety of internal and external constituents.
DevOps: support/enhance server infrastructure and deployment processes. Responsibilities include:
• Recommends and implements changes in development, maintenance and system standards.
Documentation, client support, and training. This includes
• Develops functional Specifications and system implementation plans
• Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for approval of system and programming documentation.
• Trains users in conversion and implementation of system.
• Applies application and system architecture concepts to design, develop, modify, debug and evaluate complex frontend applications. This includes system implementation plans, coding, unit testing, use of design patterns, upgrades and conversion, and system performance.
• Advanced knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, Sass, responsive theme development
• Demonstrable experience developing complex applications using Ember.js framework, working with REST APIs and consuming API endpoints produced by Django/Python
• Advanced experience developing applications that meet security and accessibility standards
• Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly and concisely, especially to non-technical personnel
• Must be self-motivated, work independently or as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Monitor industry trends, technologies, standards and research, recommend, and apply new technologies as necessary
• Must be able to analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of the end product
• Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Experience with Wagtail CMS development
• Comfortable with LAMP stack configuration and optimization in a cloud-based environment
• Experience with DevOps and QA automation tools and development, single sign on, and backend
• Knowledge of performance tuning / op timization tools
• Designs, developments, and optimizes relational data base (MySQL) applications
• Browser compatibility testing across multiple operating systems
• Work experience in academic research environment
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To Apply, visit: