Dubizzle - an OLX company: Front-end Engineer at Dubizzle - an OLX company (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
Posted: Nov 14, 2017
Are you a talented super ninja programmer? Do you know when and how to wrangle state through prototypes and write higher order react components which almost think for themselves? Do you know that with such power comes great responsibility?
Interested in being part of a platform that handles millions of requests per day? Continuous integration, auto-scaled rolling releases, event-driven micro-service architectures are all part of the daily gig.
Do you value openness, transparency and empowerment? dubizzle "Squads" are high performing x-functional teams set with a mission to provide win-win exchanges for our beloved users. We don't believe in monkeys-on-keyboards, we believe engineers are central to the problem discovery process, which is why we let teams own the "what and how" of their respective missions.
Why classifieds you might ask? Sound boring at first? We don't think so! We disrupt consumer exploitation, reinvigorate economies in emerging markets, and keep the world's carbon footprint low through second-hand trade. Don't use your iphone 6 anymore? #itsworthmore than you think! Let a father skype home to his family and kids with your used phone. Let's redistribute the world's unwanted possessions to new owners!
dubizzle is the biggest online classifieds marketplace in the UAE. We believe in fairness, honesty, transparency and ambition. We're humble but confident, irreverent and able to laugh at ourselves, but above all - we badasses. We pick fights with our competitors, move swiftly, nimbly and with agility - at a pace unmatched by others (some might even say 88mph). We are here to build the best platform the Middle East has ever seen and anyone who doesn't have the same goals should look elsewhere!
Coming from abroad? Want a tax free salary, private medical insurance for you and your family, flight tickets home once a year on the house….oh and all the cookies you can eat in the pantry??
Join dubizzle today!
Liaises with the other back end and front end engineers within your product stream, the QA team, the design team and your Tech Team Leads. As a Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for advancing our development stack and ensuring scale as we grow to millions of monthly active users across many countries.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Backend Engineers build and maintain robust APIs - from the service that powers them right down to the line of code that perfects them.
- They ensure all our services are healthy, monitored, automated, and designed to scale.
- You'll work closely with other teams from the early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving production issues.
- You will support a wide range of products focusing on automation, availability and performance, and above all reliability as well as supporting mobile engineers and business intelligence leading up to, during and after each sprint.
- You will live true to our ambitions of building an industry leading platform which is relentlessly focussed on innovation.
- Develop elegant solutions for complex problems;
- Write and maintain exemplary code following dubizzle’s programming practices;
- Gain a detailed understanding of the complete architecture of our product and the position of your product stream in it;
- Work in a mentoring capacity within a peer-programming environment and provide guidance on tasks, irrespective of complexity or scale;
- Ensure feature comparability across multiple browsers & platforms;
- Identify & address performance issues;
- Handle the entire software development life cycle, end to end.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with Mobile-first & Responsive web design methodologies;
- Fair knowledge of preprocessors such as Sass (preferably), Stylus or LESS;
- Fair understanding of BEM, OOCSS or SMACSS methodologies;
- Experience with testing and developing across multiple browsers while maintaining a consistent experience;
- Fair understanding of MVC frameworks (Ember, Angular, Backbone or React);
- Understanding of build tools like Gulp or Webpack;
- Knowledge of Node.js;
- Understanding of package management tools like bower & NPM;
- Fair understanding of AMD, UMD & Common JS patterns;
- Understanding of client-side performance issues;
- Good eye for design and UX;
- Experience with writing modular & reusable code;
- Understanding of version control systems (git);
- Understands how to use command line;
- Good understanding for using graphic applications like Photoshop, Illustrator or Sketch;
- Experience with Python/Django is a plus;
- Experience with internationalization and working on websites with multiple languages is a plus.
Qualifications & specialist skills
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role;
- 3+ years of experience in analysis, design, coding and implementation of next generation web applications
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent field;
- Problem solving; Analytical thinking; Conceptual thinking; Detail oriented;
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills. This is an absolute must. We have heated debates around complicated subjects and you will be expected to defend your points of view.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and quickly adjust in a rapidly changing environment;
If you value autonomy, innovation and our corporate values, send your application – we need you!