The Idea People: Frontend Developer with PHP Backend Skills at The Idea People (Charlotte, NC) (Charlotte, NC)
Posted: Apr 16, 2019
Are you a ninja frontend developer with killer PHP backend skills? Can you create Wordpress (or other CMS-based frameworks) plugins, themes, and templates plus integrate with other 3rd party services via REST APIs? Do you have the vision to transform a basic sketch or wireframe into a digital consumer experience?
If you're ready to produce stunning websites for some of the Southeast's biggest brands and most innovative startups plus our own external and internal web and mobile platforms you may be our next superstar.
We are a team of world-class techies who love to take on big challenges for the chance to reap even bigger successes. As a vital member of our development team, you'll have a huge impact in crafting the digital presence of both TIP and our clients. If you're aching to flex your coding muscles, A/B test the effectiveness of your creations, and optimize the results, we want you to join us.
- Experience with custom theme development: starting from a blank theme & creating custom post types, custom elds, and custom taxonomies to match content types in design comps
- Working with WP-related PHP functions & actions: writing custom WP loops, using actions/lters to modify post content, writing custom shortcodes & widgets
- Capable of writing semantic HTML
- Understands new HTML5 elements and their purposes
- Understands & accommodates accessibility concerns and WAI-ARIA attributes & roles
- Skilled at writing basic CSS
- Familiar with advanced CSS3 techniques: columns, transitions, animations, Flexbox, lters
- Comfortable writing Sass (SCSS syntax) including the following: variables, functions, mixins, loops
- Primary jQuery-based, adding interactivity to WP themes
- Experience with performance testing tools
- Understands image optimization, CSS/JS minication & best practices for loading
- Can properly congure site caching with .htaccess / caching plugin Build front-end and back-end Wordpress projects for TIP and our clients
- Understands basics of motion design
- Can plan interface/workow elements with designers
- Working with data: variables, arrays, objects
- Understands input security & sanitization
- Strong development skills in an object-oriented language such as PHP or Python. Knowledge of common object-oriented principles such as classes, objects, inheritance and encapsulation.
- Ability to write clean and well-documented code that can be easily picked up by another developer
- Experience with common database principles such as inserts/updates, deletes, subqueries and joins or experience working with an ORM for development
- Has experience integrating with modern REST API systems
- Has used version control (git) for maintaining project(s)
- Comfort in navigating the Linux terminal
- Comfortable working from comps in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch and Figma
- Experience with version control via Git
- Comfortable maintaining local server environment (*AMP stack)
- Degree in computer science, web development, or related field
- 3+ years Wordpress development experience
- 1+ years agency experience
- Experience with mobile and responsive web design
- Ability to hand-code Wordpress sites that are well structured, clean, and semantic
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of web interface and UX design
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- You must play well with others
Bonus Points (means higher salary)
- Experience with node.js and react.js
- Understanding of best practices for Search Engine Optimization
- Experience with hybrid mobile app development
- Awesome salary we pay great salaries for great people.
- Full health insurance we pay 100% of your health insurance.
- Paid vacations from Day 1 you get 12 paid days off your first year to clear your mind and stretch your limbs. There's more after that.
- Multiple company vacation days lets say that we like to take time off as a company throughout the year. Like we close the week of July 4, and from Christmas through New Years and several other times during the year, including company-paid holidays.
- Work-Life balance is tilted in your favor with all of these days off, who wouldnt be happy! Plus we keep our work within normal reasonable hours from Monday to Friday.
- All Mac laptops hey, were creative and techy. We love new technology, new platforms, new tools, and new shiny things.
- Standing, sitting, perching and lounging workspace we just bought all new workspace furnishings, gizmos, and tech.
- Gorgeous modern loft offices were in the Carolina School Supply Building just 2 blocks from BOA Stadium. Were so close that we can hear Cam Newton scream, "Keep Pounding!".
- Winning culture were 25 years old and we love to win. Were quirky, funny, amazing and talented. Our clients love us.
- Grow into digital transformation yep, its the next big thing and were ahead of the pack by a long shot. Learn first-hand as we do. Exciting.
- Shared job profits yep, were that generous, but we believe that you should share in the job profits if you helped get us there.
- Supportive and caring team we hope that you will like working with us as much as we like working with us.
- Team dining experiences ok, we like to eat out as a group and the company pays for it.
- Continued learning we encourage you to grow your career, so well pay for you to learn new things that we want to do.
- Mentoring our senior people know a thing or two about a thing or two. Well empower you to move out of your comfort zone so you can grow up to be just like them. Plus, you can teach us a thing or two as well.
Every person we hire is very important to all of us at TIP. In fact, we all take part in the hiring process. It's a team effort on everything we do.
We do not work with recruiters, freelancers, or off-shore companies. All work is made in-house in Charlotte.