DonorsChoose.org: Java Developer (NYC) at DonorsChoose.org (New York, NY) (New York, NY)
Posted: Sep 13, 2017
DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization's story.
Since its launch in 2000, more than 2.6 million "citizen philanthropists" have donated to classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 22 million students in public schools, overwhelmingly from low-income households. Along the way, the organization helped to pioneer the field of crowdfunding and is now making an impact beyond school supplies.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose.org earned recognition as the #1 "Best Nonprofit to Work For" by the Nonprofit Times.
About the role
DonorsChoose.org is looking for an energetic, collaborative, and self-motivated Java Developer to improve our unique philanthropic marketplace. You will play a central role in an agile non-profit organization that is serious about technology. Our twelve-person Engineering team builds software using tools like IntelliJ on OS X, Postgres, React, GitHub, Bamboo, and AWS.
- Estimate and deliver on rapid implementation schedules--without compromising smart development goals and principles--to build web functionality that is functional, fast, and scalable.
- Design, implement, and maintain new functionality for use by teachers, donors, and staff.
- Keep a high-volume multi-faceted web system running by troubleshooting and fixing critical bugs.
You are a top-notch contributor who will be comfortable in DonorsChoose.org's start-up atmosphere and ready to play a key technical role on a small, dedicated team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills and enthusiasm for taking on diverse development challenges.
- Strong sense of ownership and detail-orientation throughout the web engineering lifecycle.
- Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a rapid environment with little supervision.
- Passion for delivering high-quality web functionality with quick turnaround times.
- Strong SQL skills, experience with O/R mapping tools like Hibernate is a plus.
- Strong skills with an object-oriented language and MVC framework like Spring MVC.
- Experience integrating 3rd-party web applications, services, and components.
- Nice to have: HTML, CSS, JS, or AJAX.
- Nice to have: experience building robust functionality for commercial web sites and applications.
Compensation and benefits
DonorsChoose.org offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes health, dental, and vision coverage; a matching 401k plan (up to 5% of base salary); an annual professional development stipend; and five weeks of paid vacation plus national holidays.
Submit your application online and include in your cover letter a little bit about your favorite teacher in school!
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.