HERE Technologies: Lead Software Engineer - Core Data Services (functional prog.) at HERE Technologies (Berlin, Germany) (Berlin, Germany)
Posted: Oct 11, 2019
We are looking for a skilled Software Engineer to join the Platform Foundation team of the Open Location Platform (OLP).
We are dealing with:
- durable and versioned map of whole Earth with road topology and thousands of different kinds of attributes
- fast changing volatile datasets like traffic and weather and
- streams of different kind including car sensors data
- and many more
The problem is to store, index, analyze and connect them together in the same making it easily available for our users. At the same time, be able to scale and change fast to accommodate to the needs of our current and new customers.
The OLP provides the recognized experience of HERE to its customers in order to let them build their location-based applications and run them on our cloud infrastructure with ease. Thanks to our powerful abstractions, state-of-the-art building blocks and cloud infrastructure, our customers can ingest, make sense of their location data like for example car sensor data for signs, warnings, roads, one-way streets, but also weather, or points of interest.
The data can be mixed and matched and possibly shared with other members of the platform which makes it even more powerful.
As Software Engineer you can work on this amazing product! Within a co-located, multi-functional and self-organized team, you'll have fun pair-programming in Scala on systems under huge load and storing vast amount of data in very heart of the OLP. You will help running it on production - so no excuses, no throwing things over the fence but full control and responsibility.
We care about software design and take the time to write quality software. We use Scala in a strongly-typed and functional way. Aren't already a Scala expert, you should possess the drive to become one. We use code reviews to learn from each other and to ensure our self-imposed bar for quality is constantly met.
The role encompasses defining and working on features and technical tasks in a proactive fashion, supporting your colleagues with technical challenges, working with product management to analyze requirements, talking to partners, crafting, implementing and documenting solutions as well as testing and reviewing your colleagues' work.
The team-shared responsibilities
- architecture, design, develop, test the backend components
- run, monitor and support them running in production
- elaboration and refinement of user stories
- development infrastructure (build, testing, continuous integration)
- documentation (deliverables, wiki)
- communicate effectively about decisions, direction and progress, both inside and outside the team
- provide coaching and technical mentorship for less experienced team members
Who are you?
- have a former experience with high throughput, low latency, highly reliable systems at scale
- have knowledge of object oriented and functional programming languages and related technologies
- are familiar with HTTP, the REST-principles, and TCP/IP networking
- understand of the importance of producing good and readable code
- have in-depth experience of writing unit-, acceptance-, performance tests and test-driven development
- have desire to learn new things and ready to be challenged
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.