Comcast: Principal Software Engineer - IOT at Comcast (Philadelphia, PA) (Philadelphia, PA)
Posted: Aug 12, 2017
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Comcast Interactive Media (CIM) is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. This group is responsible for ensuring the timely development, testing, and release of the Digital Home platform, middleware and mobile applications with a high degree of quality that exceeds customer expectations.
In this role you will collaborate with other developers, designers, testers, tech-operators and business managers to develop features for the Xfinity Digital Home applications. The primary responsibilities will include developing middleware and backend services for the Xfinity Digital Home platform. You must be able to pick up new languages and technologies quickly, be a strong team player, and rapidly adapt to changing business and customer demands. The ideal candidate will have experience building and testing both APIs, middleware and backend services. Job duties include a balance between development and fast-paced critical thinking, communication, troubleshooting and problem solving.
- 15+ years experience building middleware and/or backend services
- Knowledge in several of: Java, Scala, Go
- Experience building and/or using RESTful web services
- Experience in caching especially in HTTP compliant caches
- Fundamental understanding of the HTTP protocol
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and
technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and
guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as
a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit
specification and technical requirements.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts,
skills, and their application in the area of specified engineering
- Displays in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply, process design
and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and
technical choices to internal audiences.
- Displays knowledge of, and ability to apply, project management
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work
nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS:
- Knowledge in several of: Amazon Web Services, Azure, HTML5, Cassandra, Storm, DC/OS
- Experience in building REST/ RPC based API services
- Familiarity with Managed and Distributed Queues such as Kafka, ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ, SQS and SNS
- Knowledge of Hypermedia Application Language (HAL) web services
- Familiarity / Experience with micro-services architectures and development
- Experience with Agile/Scrum
- Knowledge of source control systems (GitHubEnterprise)
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Deployment tools (Jenkins, AntHillPro)
- Familiarity with cloud computing (S3, SQS, Hadoop...)
- UNIX background (Solaris/Linux)
- DevOps experience
CIM Engineers are passionate about teamwork, developing our skills, and creating awesome experiences for customers. We are fortunate to do what we love, every day. Join us!
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer