GameChanger Media, Inc: Production Engineer at GameChanger Media, Inc (New York, NY) (New York, NY)
Posted: Feb 13, 2019
Sports matter because they inspire leadership, teamwork, commitment, and confidence—critical life lessons that have the power to propel young athletes toward meaningful futures. GameChanger recognizes that without coaches, parents, and volunteers, organized youth sports could not exist. We celebrate those tireless heroes and make it our mission to help them do what they do best.
GameChanger is a technology company providing team management, scorekeeping, and live fan experiences that keep athletes connected with the team community. With GameChanger, coaches and parents can organize and follow their athlete’s journey in a simple and powerful way.
We’re headquartered in downtown Manhattan and are proud to be part of the DICK’S Sporting Goods family.
We believe that Infrastructure is code. The Production Engineer is a software and systems engineer that develops and integrates the tools and automation used to create, deploy, and monitor hundreds of instances and thousands of containers in support of product engineering teams. We encourage experimentation and learning initiatives, and empower engineers to make impactful decisions. We value employees with a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Own the cloud infrastructure along with self-hosted components including databases, caches, queues and other 3rd party services
- Evolve our container based, zero-downtime deployment systems
- Own and improve our backend build and deploy pipeline
- Maintain systems supporting billions of records and millions of transactions with high concurrency
- Consult with teams building and maintaining services to ensure that they are performant, scalable, integrated with CI/CD, and properly monitored
- Contribute to and run blameless post-mortems to help us learn and improve after incidents
- Build and maintain critical internal tools to interact with our infrastructure
- Integrate with logging, monitoring, alerting, and security tools
- Tune monitoring and alerting to drive down false positives to avoid alert fatigue while catching early symptoms to avoid outages
- Pursue optimal use of cloud computing resources:
- Improve auto-scaling performance
- Optimally leverage spot instance pricing
- Leverage serverless technologies
- Enable the business with multi-region and even multi-cloud capabilities
- Ensure we are using the right tools for the job; contribute to build vs buy decisions
- Advocate for the continuous improvement of our DevOps culture
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of engineering experience
- BS/MS in CS / CE preferred but not required
- Experience working with Linux, Bash
- Knowledge of source control tools such as git
- Proficient with at least one of: Python, Ruby, Go
- Knowledge of scalable internet service architecture patterns
- Experience with Configuration Management tools and container technologies
- Prior experience with cloud platforms preferred
- Experience with configuration and maintenance of popular backend applications such as Redis, Memcached, Kafka, MongoDB, Postgres
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Detail oriented
- Be part of a diverse team of genuinely kind and interesting individuals dedicated to improving the lives of our customers.
- Benefits include medical, vision, prescription, dental, FSA/HRA, and coverage for family/dependents.
- Generous maternity / paternity leave policy
- Well-furnished, modern office
- Commuter Benefits
- Endless supply of snacks and drinks
- Learning tools including Safari Books Online, opportunities to join clubs, hack days, and conferences
- Organized lunches, happy hours, and team outings
At GameChanger we are…
- We put our customers first, always asking, “Will this enhance their youth sports experience?”
- We deeply understand our customers and work hard to anticipate their needs.
- We celebrate and support our customers’ contributions to their communities.
- We listen actively, seeking to understand others before making ourselves heard.
- We challenge each other directly while caring about each other personally.
- We do unglamorous work in service of the team.
- We set aggressive goals designed to drive meaningful change.
- We are eager teachers and curious students who invest in learning.
- We are resilient, thriving in change and adversity.
- We value creative ideas and productivity over seniority and hours worked.
- We entrust decisions to those best positioned to make them.
- We embrace individual responsibility and trust each other to deliver our best effort.
- We say “no” to valuable initiatives so we can concentrate resources on our most important work.
- We respect others’ time by limiting distractions, running efficient meetings and communicating concisely.