SimScale: Senior Backend Developer (m/f/d) at SimScale (München, Germany) (München, Germany)
Posted: Oct 21, 2019
Your mission at SimScale is to continuously improve and extend the platform that serves our users. This means working on an increasingly complex service-oriented system, written mostly in Java (but including Go, Scala, and others), that handles large amounts of data and computation jobs while at the same time empowering a thriving community of users to collaborate and share simulation projects. Depending on skills and interests, you can work close to our application domain, Engineering Simulation, or on a more general SaaS development level.
The variety of tasks will allow you to implement your knowledge in new and interesting ways, including designing data models and APIs for a complex application domain, carving out new microservices from existing code and writing new services. Other tasks related to running a cloud-based service-oriented architecture will include dealing with consistency and message-based communication. As we develop our own services, you will also be involved with "DevOps" topics, such as configuration management, the integration of monitoring and collecting metrics. Closer to the application domain, you will be tasked with integrating or improving complex simulation- or other application-domain-software, making sure the user is presented with robust software that delivers results while being a joy to use.
You will play a decisive role in helping SimScale become the first company in the world to bring Engineering Simulation to the cloud and democratize it! Since we are still young in spirit, there are few boundaries - we do our best to involve everyone in where the company is going and why, and the evolving range of challenges we face. This can mean developers working together with product managers on specifications, but also learning about the challenges of other departments, such as Sales, and providing ideas and solutions to help them out.
- 5 years of professional experience in software development in JVM languages or Go
- 3 years of extensive experience in developing RESTful cloud services and/or service-oriented systems
- Strong ownership-attitude: you want to deliver and maintain solid parts of the product
- Data-driven mindset: you act on the insights from error- and usage-data
- A course of studies in Computer Science with the focus on software engineering or a comparable training with corresponding professional experience
- Excellent knowledge of Linux
- Knowledge in distributed computing and microservices
- Sensibility towards IT security and/or other adjacent skills, e.g. "DevOps" experience
- Active participation in open source projects
What you can expect from us:
- An international and enthusiastic team with high technical expertise, dedication, and lots of fun
- An attractive startup atmosphere with flat hierarchies
- An independent, professional work environment
- Fun team events
- Ambitious, self-responsible tasks and projects that leave space for creativity and offer the chance to learn a lot in a short time
- Flexible working hours
- The chance to provide thousands of engineers with the next generation of simulation technology that helps them be better at what they do best: designing the products of tomorrow
Would you like to work in an “engine room”, meaning working on the core of a cutting-edge distributed web application, chasing bugs or designing effective, efficient and elegant solutions? Then we look forward to receiving your application via our online application system!