JUMO: Senior Backend Software Engineer at JUMO (Cape Town, South Africa) (Cape Town, South Africa)
Posted: Feb 7, 2019
Our people are motivated by an ambitious purpose of radically advancing financial inclusion so that individuals and entrepreneurs in emerging markets can have equal access to services that meet their needs and to empower communities. We’re inspired by the exceptional people that we work with and we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team in Cape Town.
JUMO engineering is building a platform that uses people’s digital footprints to connect them to the opportunity to access financial products, such as savings or credit. We’re a customer-centric team, made up of socially-conscious engineers from diverse backgrounds. Working in small, cross-functional, Agile teams – we solve big problems, together.
Our Cape Town office is in a great location for accelerating technology. We are surrounded by global startups pushing innovation, and enjoy beautiful views of Table Mountain and Lions Head! Our environment is designed to enable creativity and collaboration, even when working alongside our remote teams in Nairobi, Kenya and Porto, Portugal.
You’ve been a mentor and a leader on a high performing, multi-disciplinary team, but also a mentee with a growth mindset. You have a passion for collaborating in cross-functional teams, delivering quality code, and implementing high-volume/low-latency systems. You value high-quality feedback loops to help you continuously improve. You can tell a great story about working and evolving in an Agile environment and living software as a craft.
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Python, Ruby
- UI: React, React Native
- Storage: MySQL, Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS ecosystem, Docker Swarm
- Paradigms: Domain Driven Design, Async Messaging, Eventual Consistency, Containerisation, Serverless
What you will be accountable for
- Actively participate in and contribute to architectural and technical stack choices
- Drive project planning and execution
- Engage with Product Managers, Architects and business stakeholders to define platform requirements
- Mentor engineers
- Recommend and implement technical solutions in a phased approach to introduce new product constructs and microservices to our platform
- 8+ years of experience designing, developing and testing software
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering / relevant field or 10+ years industry experience
- Hands-on experience with the design and development of high volume, highly reliable services.
- Distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Contribute to system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
Our mission has launched, are you joining us?