Sisu, Inc.: Senior Front-end Developer at Sisu, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) (Los Angeles, CA)
Posted: Dec 19, 2018
Sisu (www.sisumedia.com) is an award-winning digital design agency, located in sunny Los Angeles, CA. We are dedicated to doing excellent work, building lasting relationships, and cultivating a respectful, inspiring environment. We are looking for a talented, dedicated Senior Front-end Developer to join our team.
While our team is small, our projects and clients are not. We have active projects for a stellar set of entertainment, media, and technology brands, including DC Comics, Disney, American Express, Illumina, Facebook, Western Union, the Grammys, and many more. Projects include responsive media portals; web and native apps; dashboards and enterprise tools; compelling skunkworks projects and more.
The ideal candidate will be inquisitive and driven, with a love for UX, design and technology and a desire to contribute, grow and lead. At Sisu, developers are involved from concept to prototype to final delivery -- guiding clients and internal team members on feasibility, gathering technical requirements, introducing new tech/libraries/approaches, and pushing our creativity. Development serves as a foundation for our work and is critical to transforming static design comps into highly polished, successful products. In the past, this role has been filled by both pure front-end developers and hybrid designers/developers. We are also open to those who lean more towards full stack development.
Historically, our in-house developers have focused on delivering exemplary front-end experiences -- compelling translations of static designs that exhibit adherence to design guidelines; an understanding of how micro-interactions, smooth animations and other techniques bring designs to life; and organized, clean and maintainable coding methodologies. We partner closely with trusted external development agencies that provide complex, custom CMS development, APIs and server architecture. Recently, we have moved further into full stack development in-house, including headless WordPress, web app and API development. We are in the process of defining this ‘Sisu Stack,” and you will be a key team member in the process.
You will guide other in-house front-end developers as well as external technical resources. You will get to work with a variety of technologies and frameworks, and as newer approaches develop and new client needs emerge, you will help us identify them, learn them and add them to the mix.
This is a great position for someone who is eager to grow their toolset; work with smart clients; be part of a thriving, historically-stable design studio; collaborate with friendly people and hang out with a bunch of equally friendly dogs.
Examples of current and recent projects:
- Setup Wordpress Custom Post Types and Advanced Custom Fields to support custom interactive functionality
- Use a Git-based CMS like Netlify or Forestry
- Alternatively use WP as a headless CMS
- Build static front end using Hugo, Gatsby, or similar.
Single Page Web Apps
- Setup of Node/Express API server
- Develop web app using React, Redux, and Webpack
- Deploy to client’s server using git hooks
- Integrate push/build notifications with Slack
Prototypes / Static Sites
- Create custom animations using Greensock animation platform and others
- Create parallax interactions using Scrollmagic
- Code custom, responsive, touch-friendly slideshow/carousel
- Deploy with Git hooks and FTP
- Setup of Node/Express API server
- Develop iOS/Android app using React Native
- Manage development certificates and submit app to app store
Desired Skills and Experience
We look at the person as a whole. The below is by no means exhaustive nor 100% required.
The desired skill set and experience for the position includes:
- 7+ years at an agency, product company or in-house development group at a major brand or media property
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field OR equivalent work experience
- Built work that shows you create amazing websites and web apps!
- User friendly
- Strong ability to communicate and collaborate with clients, other team members, freelance resources and outside tech agencies
- Define technical requirements
- Research and recommend solutions
- Guide the development process
- Build good relationships
- Work with UX, Visual Design and Production to define what’s possible and how to push boundaries
- Work with Business Development and Production to create accurate estimates and timelines
- Desire to improve Sisu’s approach to development
- Champion the dev team’s culture, norms, and best practices
- Support the growth of front-end engineers through constructive, collaborative code reviews
- Research and refine Sisu’s preferred stack
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple deliverables
Desired Tech Skills
- Excellence at translating Sketch/PSD files into responsive layouts
- Pixel-perfect match of designs + ability to extrapolate flats to fluid
- Semantic, accessible HTML
- Preprocessor like SASS
- Methodologies (such as Atomic Design, BEM, SMACSS)
- Cross browser testing
- Know how to use modern frameworks like React, but can also solve challenges with vanilla JS
- Easily build a custom pop-up window, image carousel, video lightbox, filtered masonry grid, infinite scrolling, lazy loading, etc… with vanilla JS.
- Custom Post Types combined with Advanced Custom Fields
- Custom WP Theme development
- How to use WordPress as a headless CMS
- Know how to setup Webpack/Babel/ESLint
- Git, GitHub, Bitbucket
Nice to Have
- A good eye for design. You notice when padding or alignment is off.
- Prior experiencing managing others in both waterfall and Agile environments
- Advanced animation skills with Greensock or something similar
- Comfortable digging around a PSD/Sketch file to pull out the assets you need
- Backend experience
- Use Node/Express/Mongo to build API
- Technical SEO experience
- Experience with core AWS services like EC2, Cloudfront, and S3
- Domain name registration and DNS management
- Serverless / Lambda
- TypeScript / Flow
- Unit and integrations tests (TDD and BDD)
- React Native