Babbel (Lesson Nine GmbH): Senior Frontend Developer at Babbel (Lesson Nine GmbH) (Berlin, Germany) (Berlin, Germany)
Posted: Mar 1, 2019
Founded in 2007, Babbel is the world’s top-grossing and most effective language-learning app. No small feat, and no small challenge. In a moment rife with talk of walls, we’re building bridges — making the language-learning journey as exciting and empowering as possible, helping people forge new connections and participate in worlds bigger than their own. We do things that matter. And foremost, we make people speak their new language as they’ve always wanted to. Come work with us.
There’s still so much to do.
Babbel is for everyone, not some niche or elite strata of learners. Everyone. As our user base has grown, so has what they need from us. Their learning needs, life experiences, and reference points become more varied and colorful by the day. Meeting that means ensuring users see themselves reflected —not just in our product— but the world it allows them to imagine with us. That means reflecting the dynamism and diversity of our users, as much as possible, in the production of Babbel. We currently have 600 people from more than 50 nationalities working in our Berlin and New York offices, challenging and learning from each other at every step. A culture of difference and dignity is critical to how we’ve connected with millions of users, in every hemisphere
We are looking for a Senior Frontend Engineer to start immediately in our office in Berlin, Germany!
Your responsibilities will be:
- Deliver high quality web applications from crafting and iterating new features into production in short sprint cycles
- Independently build, maintain and take on ownership of complex software modules and services
- Collaborate multi-functionally to inform API design and architectural decisions
- Maintain and make use of a good overview of the overall technology stack and infrastructure
- Craft, facilitate and survey coding guidelines and quality standards
- Mentoring colleagues and share expertise across teams
- Understand and take ownership the system performance and health
- React and fix operational events (bugs and incidents)
- Independently focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practice
- Experience working with modern client-side frameworks
- Experience with any component-based frontend framework (ideally React)
- Experience in maintenance of complex code bases and driving down technical debt
- Experience with cross-browser development and knowledge of browser compatibility
- Knowledge in testing on different levels: unit, integration, contract and E2E
- Deep understanding of lean and agile practices
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Nice to have:
- Experience with back-end technology such as Ruby-Rails or Node.JS
- Experience using cloud services (ideally AWS)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (ideally AWS DynamoDB)
- Experience with infrastructure as code tool (ideally Terraform)
Babbel is the world’s most successful language learning app. Work with us to make a real impact in the world, in a meaningful way.
- We’re driven by a bold challenge
- We solve meaningful problems - at scale.
- Diversity and difference are our strengths; lifelong learning is our life’s blood
- Work within a high-performing team at Babbel.
- Tackle a steep learning-curve – personally and professionally.
- Work in a challenging environment and where you’re expected to bring your game face
- Take advantage of a lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours.
- Draw from a vibrant international company with people from over 50 different nationalities.
- We offer great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruit & drinks).
Questions about a career at Babbel? Contact us! +49 (0) (151 2051 6139 or get in touch with Martin Forry ([email protected]) for more information.