Dorsata: Senior Frontend Developer at Dorsata (Washington, DC) (Washington, DC)
Posted: Jan 15, 2019
Are you a versatile frontend developer & UX designer who is obsessive about creating thoughtful software that improves someone’s day? If so, we’d love to chat with you about adding some firepower to our senior product team -- a team who is actively helping women’s health providers spend more quality time with patients by fundamentally re-imagining their daily digital workflows.
Update on 'Location' : So, while we do have the 'remote' flag on, we're *ideally* looking for someone in the DC area-ish (think: 2 hour train ride); however, we could live with the NE corridor-ish (think: 2 hour flight), too. Or, put another way: are you available to be in the DC office once every other week-ish? Yeah, That'd be greaaaaaat...
Ideally you are as eager and passionate as we are about:
- Crafting thoughtful user experiences that help people (in our case doctors, nurses, and medical assistants) make the best decisions possible while removing tedious BS from their daily workflow.
- reducing the large amount of time that clinicians spend on documenting what they have already done (go ahead -- ask your doctor about how much they like their EHR (electronic health record) next time you’re sick)
- re-imagining not only the traditional user experiences & workflow of EHR’s, but also the medium through which the latest medical best practices can be actionably and seamlessly incorporated into delivering care.
OK, you may not be super-passionate about these things right now (let’s face it -- medical workflows and “EHRs” sound pretty boring on paper), but you will be. Why? Because you’ll be building software that fixes INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING experiences for doctors. And it’s incredibly satisfying to modernize, replace & improve outdated, problematic software. It’s important. And you’ll be loved/adored for it. (And once you see the way this stuff is currently done, you’ll be left scratching your head or otherwise disappointed)
A little about us...
We’re a small-but-mighty team that recently secured our first round of venture capital financing along with a strategic partnership with the most influential voice in women’s health: the American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists (ACOG).
Our mission is to remove the digital roadblocks that interfere with healthcare providers’ ability to spend quality time with patients (Oh and we try to help them make better decisions along the way as well).
...A Lot About You
Ideally, you are a multitalented wunderkind who runs circles around each of the below bullet points, but let’s be real: while some of these are must-have, many are wish-list. We may have gotten a bit carried away with these, so if feel your unique combination of skills is close-ish to the mark, don’t hesitate to reach out. In fact, do so enthusiastically.
- ...you’re a software crafts(wo)man with a roll-up-your-sleeves mentality -- there’s a lot of thoughtful, nuanced, nitty gritty work to get done.
- … you have “X years of experience” Pshaw. We aren’t big on formal requirements in the credentials department; rather, we want to see what you’ve worked on. Show us a project you’re proud of that you shipped and we’ll start the conversation from there. But let’s not kid ourselves -- you should absolutely come without training wheels.
- … you have excellent design sensibilities and a firm grasp of HTML5 / CSS / SASS, ui toolkits like bootstrap, and probably design tools like Sketch.
- … you’re pretty opinionated about your design choices and can easily articulate/defend your design decisions/rationale when asked “Why did you <insert observation that challenges your design choice> ?”
- ...you should be able to design, architect & implement front-end solutions that reflect your particular problem-solving approach (...and you’ll probably be solving a problem that was based on a story that you yourself were instrumental in either eliciting or refining).
- … you’re a natural Design Thinker. Therefore, you’re good at leveraging your empathy to investigate both known and ambiguous aspects of a complex, convoluted story (lots of these in healthcare!) in order to discover hidden parameters and open alternative paths which may lead to the real story.
- … you have an admirable understanding of the principles behind a good RESTful API design. (Bonus points for a passing familiarity Ruby on Rails or any other fullstack tendencies.)
- … you’re comfortable/knowledgeable with git. CI experience a bonus, but not required.
- … you’ve worked at startups before or have always been looking for an excuse to.
- … you work well in a loosely structured PM/Managerial environment (we’re agile with a “little a”)
Us + You?
As the newest member our product team, you’ll be an integral part of every aspect of our business strategy, dev roadmap, technology architecture decisions, and, undoubtedly, will wear a lot of hats.
Ones of these hats -- in addition to your techie/design hats -- will almost certainly be the Customer Hat. At Dorsata, we are fervent (rabidly obsessive, really) believers in frequent, high-touch interactions with our involved, loyal customer base, who drives our roadmap. Believe me when I tell you that you’re going to be on a first name basis with many of our customers -- there’s a whole Slack channel full of’em that just can’t wait to meet you.