Wayfair: Senior Software Engineer, Android (Java) at Wayfair (Boston, MA) (Boston, MA)
Posted: Aug 13, 2019
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
This role is part of an initiative to bring on board senior Java developers with a passion for clean code and a strong interest in becoming Android developers. Successful candidates will be offered in-depth training on Android app development and Wayfair best practices. Upon completion of the training, you will be matched with one of several teams that comprise Android, iOS and full-stack developers, who develop Wayfair’s main customer-facing Android application.
Who Are You?
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, at least 4+ years of professional Java development experience, and are an expert in Object Oriented Programming concepts
- A team player – someone who easily adapts to the situation and puts the team agenda first.
- You are passionate about providing the best customer experience
- You have worked with product managers and other stakeholders to define features and develop roadmaps.
- You are excited to learn Android and level up your technical knowledge of the rapidly growing mobile space.
What Will You Do?
- Writing high quality Java code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers.
- Meeting with product managers to break down ideas and user stories into tickets.
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Android best practices.
- Collaborating actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native app.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups, as well as investigating and proposing new ideas for advancing our development practices.