Comcast: Senior Software Engineer at Comcast (Philadelphia, PA) (Philadelphia, PA)
Posted: Mar 16, 2019
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The My Account Website team is looking for a Senior "DevOps Engineer" to join us. Our mission is to improve the customer experience by providing a great web experiences that empower our customers to manage their relationship with Comcast.
Our team maintains a casual and professional work environment where employees can grow. We use the latest technologies and are constantly exploring and evaluating new options. We take career development very seriously and will work with you to become a better engineer by teaching best practices and pairing you with other experienced engineers. We encourage work life balance, offering flexible office hours and work from home options when needed.
As for the day to day, you'll be working on a team of 3 developers managing multiple projects. Developers, QA, product owners, and scrum masters are all working on the same floor and available to work with. Primary responsibilities include CentOS server management and sysadmin work. However, this is a notable amount of work in AWS and editing CD/CI pipelines. If you're inclined, you will get a chance to contribute to application or api code.
While our values and processes evolve carefully, our technology and products change rapidly. We're an agile shop that gets things done. If you are someone who likes to constantly learn, be challenged, and are a team player, please apply. We look forward to working with you!
- Strong CentOS sys admin and server management skills
- AWS experience (EC2, lambda, cloudfront, S3, IAM, etc)
- Ansible experience
- System and Web Security experience
- Jenkins or other CD/CI
- Networking and firewall understanding
Desired, but not required
- ELK stack
- Location: Comcast Technology Center (the new building)
- Hours: 9-5, but this can be flexible for legitimate needs. Some people pick up their kids from and work early and/or late to make up for the missed time. Some trains schedules mean that showing up at 9:10 gives you an extra 45 minutes of sleep. As long as you work a 40 hour week, are available for important meetings, and the team knows where you are, we can make it work. Strong communication is required to take advantage of this policy.
- Work From Home: We are not a remote team, but work from home is available as needed (Family emergency, having your water heater fixed, school closed for a day, etc). Make sure you're not remote on the rare days where you really need to be in person, communicate to the team when you're remote. Don't abuse it, don't lose it.
- On-Call: Since we operate a website, it is expected to be working 24/7/365. If the site is down or we are expected to bring it back up immediately. However, our team's off hours call volume is averaging two calls across the entire team per year. Because of this we don't have assigned on-call.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer