Koffie Labs: Senior Software Engineer at Koffie Labs (Brooklyn, NY) (Brooklyn, NY)
Posted: Aug 15, 2019
We are looking for savvy software engineer to help pioneer a new approach to insurance underwriting. Taking insurance out of the dark ages means a willingness to challenge assumptions and reinvent processes. You will be central to this mission by implementing systems and developing data pipelines responsible for the operations of a modern insurance company.
The ideal candidate is excited at the prospect of building maintainable systems from scratch. You will support our data science and underwriting team and ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
If you have 4+ years writing code and excited to participate in management, this is your calling-- you'll be responsible for implementing key decisions about our stack, develop repeatable processes and hire/lead others to keep us focused on the mission.
- Lead, manage and grow a small engineering team
- Collaborate with data science and product management to develop and manage data pipelines, incorporating ETL/normalization activities from commercial, proprietary and open data sources
- Coding across all layers of our application, including client-side, server-side, database, and tooling support
- Always learning: incorporate best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
- Integration with 3rd party data/source via API
- Support development of management reporting systems
- 4+ years professional experience
- Python, SQL/NoSQL, modern web frameworks
- Data hunting and wrangling/ETL
- Deep knowledge and hands-on work with API integrations
- Passion and curiosity for transportation, trucking, autonomous technology, and/or insurance
We seek to be as efficient and transparent so both parties spend their time wisely. If you express interest, we'll take a look over your past work--resume, repo, past projects, portfolio, etc... and hopefully invite you for an initial screen with our CEO to tell you more about the opportunity and what we're looking for.
If that goes well, next step is a coding challenge--we expect you to spend 2-4 hours to complete it. Upon submission we'll review it and if it looks good (or fantastic!) we'd invite you for another call, this one with our cofounder/COO who can speak to all your questions about insurance.
Assuming the above goes well, the next step is a pair programming exercise and technical interview. This will happen with a Koffie advisor or via Karat.
Now we're at the home stretch...final step is to meet with our CEO, COO and Chief Data Scientist. If we're all excited, and offer should be forthcoming!