Achievement Network: Senior Software Engineer (remote US or office) at Achievement Network (Boston, MA) (allows remote) (Boston, MA)
Posted: Dec 2, 2019
Senior Software Engineer
Location: Flexible, within the United States (Eastern Time Zone/Boston preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
We are seeking a full-time Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering Team and help build products that support Achievement Network’s (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge development and best practices.Reporting to the Director of Engineering, this person will play a key role in crafting and implementing our technology vision for the organization.
ANet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely. Occasional travel to ANet’s National Office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the New England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Play a leadership role in designing and implementing sustainable code for substantial features and/or sections of code
- Implement ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
- Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
- Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
- Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
- Mentor and support the development of junior developers as appropriate
- Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features
- Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You bring direct experience in the implementation of consumer-facing web applications using Angular
- You have experience in, and have knowledge of:
- Web development frameworks
- Java and/or Go programming language
- Scrum or other Agile development processes
- RESTful Web Services
- Scalable web application development
- Software-as-a-service (SaaS) and Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative and agile culture
- You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of both internal and external users
- You operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds
- You bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- 4+ years of software development experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please click on the “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.