Common Living Inc.: Senior software engineer that wants to help solve the housing crisis at Common Living Inc. (New York, NY) (New York, NY)
Posted: Apr 11, 2019
Common is a high tech property manager making a big bet that we can build a better living experience, a strong residential brand, and a more scalable property management business by leveraging technology. Our secret sauce is designing and operating co-living apartment buildings. Our members get private furnished bedrooms, a beautiful fully furnished shared suite, weekly suite cleanings, laundry essentials, utility expenses included, household essentials like cookware and cleaning supplies fully stocked, WiFi, Smart TVs, Sonos speakers, keyless entry, and access to our community and curated events.
Today we operate 25 building in 6 cities and have more than 100 buildings in over 10 additional cities in our pipeline (and growing). Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65M in venture funding.
About the Role
As a software engineer at Common you will be responsible for building products used by members living in Common, employees, and real estate development partners. We are on a mission to create software that delights our members through community and access to services that enrich the living experience. In addition to the technology we provide our members, we are re-envisioning and modernizing how property management software should be built to scale the operations and logistics of our homes.
You’ll work closely with a small cross-functional team of engineers to design, develop, and maintain a number of different products or components using Common’s web stack: Ruby, Rails, React, and Postgres to name a few. You should be passionate about problem solving, learning, teaching, and programming elegant solutions. We empower our engineers to drive the direction and implementation of projects and this role will have an important say in how we architect and craft our backend. We aim to write thoughtful, well-tested, readable, and maintainable code. Our team relies heavily on our tests so that we can continuously deploy code. Something you build today might be in production... today. You will influence architecture, philosophies, bring new methodologies to our development process, and have an important say in how we build technology here at Common.
What You'll Need
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- Fluency in at least one interpreted language, preferably Ruby
- Experience designing complex relational database schemas and domain models
- Value code quality and maintainability
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming, development patterns, and software development principles
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, self-awareness, and optimism
- Experience architecting complex applications
- A personality that encourages strong communication, collaboration, and relationship building
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a whatever it takes attitude
- A passion for Common and our mission to improve the way people live
Bonus Points If You Have
- Worked in an industry with substantial complexity and regulation (e.g. health, legal, accounting, banking, etc.)
- Experience leading projects or teams
- Prior experience with GraphQL
- Contribute to open source
- Worked in a continuous deployment environment before
- Experience with Rails engines