Senior UX Interaction Designer
Posted: May 26, 2021
The NI Product Design Team is looking for accomplished designers who want to be a part of creating the tools that will shape the future of engineering and scientific breakthroughs. The challenges we face are unique, complex, and rewarding. The ideal candidate has a passion for detail, innovation, and solving user problems. We value ideas over seniority and believe that good ideas come from anywhere. Here you will find a team culture that embraces individual autonomy and promotes the growth of each designer's craft. Our team consists of visual designers, interaction designers, UX researchers, technical illustrators, product owners, and engineers who all care deeply about our users.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio of your work. Your portfolio needs to clearly showcase your design process, thinking behind your work, and the quality of your designs.
This is a full-time position based in our Austin, TX (78759) office.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with software development team, product owners, project managers, other designers, and key project stakeholders to define design requirements and key concepts.
- Lead the design efforts for one or more feature areas, working with the product owners to define the long-term experience, identify design opportunities, and connect them to a broader product vision.
- Define and/or facilitate design sprints to speed early project ideation, discovery, and quickly test potential solutions.
- Create, present, and document use cases, workflow diagrams, storyboards, and wireframes with detailed interaction specifications.
- Help create prototypes to flesh out and ultimately test design solutions when necessary
- Drive designs through development to completion, considering technical requirements and feasibility.
- Work with user researchers to define user testing script and key objectives
- Iterate on designs based on feedback from usability testing
- Review design work and mentor more junior level designers when needed
- Collaborate with other designers for consistency both within and across product teams
- Network and create connections within the organization to further design goals and streamline cross functional team execution.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in UX design (HCI, design, or a related field) or equivalent experience
- 5?7 years UX design experience
- Mastery of user centered design processes
- Able to confidently convey rationale for design choices
- Able to communicate a clear message to an audience that is well received.
- Ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and multiple teams while accurately scoping deliverables.
- Ability to map deliverables to project milestones
- Ability to uncover novel, unexpected, but still workable solutions that tell a compelling story
- Comfortable asking for and receiving feedback to iterate on designs
- Proficient in design, documentation and prototyping tools such as Illustrator, InDesign, XD, Axure, Figma or analogous tools
NOTE: National Instruments does not petition for H-1B (H1-B transfer) and TN status for this position.
Nice to have
- Strong visual design skills
- Familiarity with data visualization
- Experience designing for accessibility
- Experience designing desktop applications for Windows using Microsoft guidelines
- Able to look at a given design solution and approximate technical feasibility
- Previous design experience with educational, scientific, technical, or engineering products
- Experience designing for web based platforms
- Familiarity with programming concepts and patterns to better understand technical constraints and design feasibility
There are many reasons to consider joining a company. Key among them are the people, the ideas, and the technology. At NI, we believe in the power and potential of connecting the three to create a path to success.
The people: We're looking for curious and creative problem solvers who value diversity and fresh perspectives, are bold and kind, and willing to take chances.
The ideas: What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you want to program robots? Build flying cars? Leave the world better than you found it? At NI, we build on the big ideas of big dreamers to make their visions a reality.
The technology: With our tailored, software-connected approach, we support our customers through all phases of the product development cycle. From 5G and medical innovations to autonomous driving and the future of space travel, we help our customers Engineer Ambitiously every day.
We've long been globally recognized as a top employer. Our compensation and benefits are very competitive, as are our modern workspaces, career development and mobility opportunities, and a culture that fosters belonging and emphasizes community giving. We encourage our teammates to challenge the status quo and collaborate with one another to build innovative solutions.
No matter your career path, we're here for you, for each other, and for the next generation of innovators who think bigger, aim higher, and go faster.
Are you up for the challenge of helping shape humanity for the next 100 years? If so, let's get started, and let's Engineer Ambitiously together.
National Instruments is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.