Stellar Science: Software Developer for Scientific Applications (NoVA) at Stellar Science (Vienna, VA) (Vienna, VA)
Posted: Apr 16, 2018
Stellar Science is a growing Albuquerque-based scientific software development company seeking talented software developers to create and extend exciting scientific and engineering analysis applications. We maintain high standards in all our software development efforts, utilizing modern development practices including continuous integration, test-driven development, and code reviews in order to develop high quality, maintainable, and reusable code. By employing a lightweight development process, we remain highly productive and responsive to changing customer needs.
We develop custom software products in domains that include computer vision and image processing, image simulation, high power microwave systems modeling and simulation, laser source generation and effects modeling, computational electromagnetics (CEM), space situational awareness (SSA), high performance computing (HPC), and computer aided design (CAD) tools, among others.
Applicants may range from recent college graduates to experienced software engineers; the main requirements are that candidates be top-notch, responsible, self-motivated, honest, able to work well independently or in small teams, and be able to rapidly learn new languages, tools, and techniques as needed to meet mission requirements.
- B.S. in computer science, physics, math, engineering, or a related field
- Substantial software development experience
- Object-oriented design and programming in C++ or Java
- Ability to implement, understand, and maintain mathematical and scientific codes
- U.S. citizen willing to undergo background investigation
- Masters or doctorate candidate in computer science or a scientific or engineering field with substantial software development experience
- Majoring or experience in a computational science/engineering field
Experience in any of the following is a plus:
- Cross-platform software development on Linux and Windows
- 3D graphics using Open Scene Graph and/or OpenGL
- User interface development with Qt, Java Swing, or GWT
- Supercomputing, CUDA, OpenMP, MPI, threads
- OSGi, Orekit, or Apache Commons Math
- Image processing, imagery analysis, or computer vision
- Aerospace vehicles, orbital mechanics, electromagnetics, or space situational awareness
- Directed energy modeling and simulation
- Computer aided design (CAD)
A representative sample of your code may be requested early in the evaluation process, e.g. something you've written for work, for a class, or for fun. It need not compile, but should be long enough to help evaluate your programming and software engineering skills.
Stellar Science is a forward-thinking business that allows its developers and scientists to work at home on occasion when consistent with job requirements. Standard benefits include ten paid federal holidays (which may be floated as desired), three weeks vacation, a generous fully employer-funded SEP IRA, and fully employer-funded health insurance, as well as dental, disability, and life insurance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, in accordance with CFR 60-1.