Philadelphia Media Network: Philly.com, Inquirer and Daily News: Software Engineer at Philadelphia Media Network: Philly.com, Inquirer and Daily News (Philadelphia, PA) (Philadelphia, PA)
Posted: Jan 12, 2019
We're the Philadelphia Media Network (PMN), the company behind the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Daily News and Philly.com. With its multiple brand platforms and integrated print and digital products, PMN is the region's largest media network and is a technological leader and innovator. This is not your legacy newspaper company; were a transforming media organization where our fast-changing technology team is committed to delivering great stories and digital user experiences through a robust, flexible, and scalable technology stack.
At PMN were passionate about building a premier local news media organization that benefits everyone in the community. We care about moving fast, real-world change and building diverse, dynamic teams. Our engineers are working on everything from optimizing payment systems to integrating new social media platforms, and everything in between! Were exploring and applying advertising technologies, marketing technologies, big-data analytics, video, audio, mobile, AI and ML processes, all focused on better serving our audiences.
Join our team in working on projects and problems that include:
- Building out a new technology stack both functionally and technically, while phasing out legacy systems along the way
- Rebuilding content systems, front-end user experiences, social media and SEO, while developing a sophisticated data analytics platform
- Expanding upon, and rebuilding, our digital infrastructure into a long-term scalable system
Duties and responsibilities
- Works with the technical leadership on implementing new and modifications to existing front-end and content management templates.
- Provides time and level of effort estimations to technical team leadership when discussing and evaluating assigned tasks. Level of effort should always take unit, integration, and regression testing effort as part of the tasks completion.
- Provides regression testing and verification as part of development as well as production deployment support.
- Occasional off-hour (scheduled) support for vendor upgrades or troubleshooting (e.g. weekend Clickability upgrades).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent degree. 3+ years experience developing web applications required.
- Experience with all levels of the Software Development Life-Cycle.
- Existing knowledge on service oriented architectures (SOA), consuming and creating web-services.
- Experience handling data formatted in XML and JSON.
- Experience with change management and build processes (e.g. GitHub, Jira, Jenkins, etc).
- Clearly articulates ideas and thoughts verbally and in writing.
- Displays a high energy / positive attitude and one of constant learning and keeping up with latest development technologies and devices.
- Sets high standards of performance for oneself and keeps abreast of web development trends to continue to push the limits beyond what we currently do.
- Comfortable working as part of a highly focused, driven team within iterative and/or agile methodologies.
- Ability to work in a highly demanding environment while also remaining flexible; able to change goals as business needs require.