Comcast: Software Engineer, CAP at Comcast (Philadelphia, PA) (Philadelphia, PA)
Posted: Aug 13, 2019
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Software Engineering Apprentice
As a Software Engineering Apprentice working with the Core Application Platforms (CAP) team, you will be responsible for building next generation “application building blocks” to help other teams with faster delivery of reliable, performant, and scalable software products. In addition to bringing your excitement about software development, commitment to learning, and customer focus, you’ll be working with colleagues at all levels and helping us design and deliver next-generation platforms for successful projects. We’ll work closely with you to build a plan to increase your skills and experience at an appropriate pace. You can expect to get exposure to our full technical stack while getting mentoring and support from the rest of your team.
CodeBig is an API proxying service that provides rate limiting and authentication services to internal APIs. We’ve built an in-house solution relying on Open Source technologies like nginx, React, Node, Lua, and OAuth; which has been broadly adopted within the company. We support over 1900 services and handle a peak load of over 47,000 requests per second.
We’re a supportive, collaborative team that believes in mentoring and supporting all our colleagues. We’ve adopted lightweight agile processes that we apply to improve the way we all work together.
- We value delivering usable and working solutions now and iterative refinement over holding out for a perfect solution later.
- We value attitude over aptitude; no genius jerks allowed.
- We value individuals and interactions over process and tools (yes, we borrowed this one).
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercial software.
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus.
- During technical discussions, no one has a title.
- We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing that the plan is the best one.
- We value context and responsibility over management approval and supervision.
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figured out a solution to this problem; we value using their results over rediscovering them ourselves.
- We value leadership through service over fighting turf wars; we get ahead by helping others succeed.
- We value actively and humbly seeking honest feedback over preserving our egos.
- We treat customers as future collaborators rather than as tickets to be closed.
- We are good listeners, and listen twice as much as we talk. (2 ears, 1 mouth)
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method.
- We value quality of release over speed of delivery.
- We happily teach others the things we have learned.
- Writing tested, production-ready application code.
- Pairing and collaborating with peers.
- Writing appropriate levels of documentation.
- Participating in joint design and architecture sessions.
- Building effective deployment and monitoring systems.
- Operating and supporting production environments (including on-call support).
- Performing code reviews.
- Participating in software release and deployment activities.
- Coordinating constructively with other team members.
- Relevant CS coursework, development bootcamp or significant coding experience on any platform plus a love of coding.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and teach others.
- Extreme curiosity.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- History of working both independently and in collaborative teams.
- A drive to contribute real value as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated experience delivering excellent customer service.
- Side projects outside of any coursework or internships.
- Familiarity with React.js or Node is most likely to be helpful to the team.
- We’re interested in attracting a diverse set of candidates for this position. If you’re not sure if you qualify, please err on the side of applying.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer