OpenSlate: Software Engineer (Python) at OpenSlate (New York, NY) (New York, NY)
Posted: Mar 12, 2019
We’re looking for experienced Python engineers who would enjoy the challenge of designing and building applications to provide insights into a highly dynamic and expansive data set. Working with user-generated content at scale poses some unique problems so we highly value creative technical minds that can imagine solutions and bring them to reality.
- Designing and building scalable systems that can collect, store, retrieve and transform data coming from a variety of different sources including APIs, Postgres, Solr, S3 and Cassandra.
- Designing and implementing maintainable API’s that support our end-user applications.
- Selecting appropriate data storage and retrieval methods and technologies.
- Designing data-structures and optimizing queries that deal with millions of rows of data.
- Creating reusable and maintainable code, automated tests and clear documentation.
- Optimizing your code to run in a high-performance real time environment that generates billions of events a day.
- Supporting the software and systems you write and deploy in our production environment.
- Collaborating across engineering, product and data teams to solve technical and business issues.
- 5+ years experience building non-trivial, data-centric python applications and API’s in a Linux environment.
- Thorough understanding of common internet networking technologies, including TCP, HTTP, DNS.
- Expertise working with RDBMS, including schema design, writing SQL for complex multi-table queries and optimizing query performance.
- Expertise in using Git and Git branching models.
- You enjoy working as a part of a collaborative team and demonstrate an open mindset.
- Strong communication skills: able to clearly articulate, defend and document design decisions and work with a cross-discipline team.
- A love of problem solving and a sense of imagination!
Ideal candidates will also have the following:
- Experience designing and implementing scalable systems processing large amounts of data
- 2+ years building back-end services and APIs in Django or Flask