STARZ: Sr. Software Engineer, Data Products/Engineering at STARZ (Englewood, CO) (Englewood, CO)
Posted: Apr 22, 2021
Summary of Position
The STARZ Data Products & Engineering team is seeking a software engineer who’s passionate about drawing a thin line from data to insight and exposing that insight to internal users to support important business decisions. You’ll be building applications that give internal users insight into what audiences to target, how original and licensed content is likely to perform in the Starz ecosystem and beyond, and helping us to integrate disparate signals into a clear picture of where the organization is at and where we can go. We’re building out a system of experimentation so teams can use that picture to form hypotheses, test them, and easily see the results.
Our users range from extremely technical (providing us with models to run, and wanting tables or files in return) to less technical (providing inputs via a UI or spreadsheet and expecting results displayed in-line or in a report). As part of our work to enable the organization to make decisions with data, we’re building out a data processing framework for use by internal analyst teams that lets them harness the power of the data engineering technology we build, while also providing a clear, understandable UI and getting out of their way. This is an opportunity to exercise your technical skills with a highly skilled team from a variety of diverse backgrounds while helping every aspect of our business to be more efficient and more data-driven.
- Work with product and stakeholder teams to identify ways to improve their workflows and own improving those workflows through problem discovery, solution design, feature implementation, user testing, and iterative feature improvement
- Design interfaces that allow users to easily understand complex relationships, visualize trends, and explore forecasted scenarios
- Build analytics tools that provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, retention, behavior and other key business performance metrics
- Work with data engineers, data scientists, and other development teams to deliver data driven applications with high availability, low latency, and high scalability utilizing microservice, serverless, and event-driven architectures
- Continue to build out our data processing framework, and expand it to support less and less technical users through a simple, understandable interface
- Employ a variety of languages, tools and techniques to marry systems and the data generated from those systems together to maximize the strategic value of the data
- Recommend and implement ways to improve/ensure data reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Identify, design and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data-driven decision making, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Be prepared to translate findings to key stakeholders
- Work in a heavily collaborative environment, taking on a variety of roles when necessary with a positive attitude
Education & Experience
4+ years working directly as a member of a technical team, preferably developing/supporting/innovating for a consumer-facing analytics product.
- Front-end Frameworks: React, Angular (nice to have)
- Orchestration: AWS EC2/ECS/Lambda/Step Functions/EKS/EMR, Kubernetes, docker, CloudFormation, CDK
- Database Systems (nice to have): Snowflake, Aurora, DynamoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server
- Data Processing (nice to have): Spark, Spark Streaming, Kafka, Kinesis, Pandas, Airflow
- Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, 11 holidays, and Impact Day
- 401(k) company matching
- Reimbursement –Rideshare Program and Tuition (up to graduate degree)
About the Company
Starz (www.starz.com), a Lionsgate company (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B), is a leading global media and entertainment company that produces and distributes premium streaming content to worldwide audiences across subscription television platforms. Starz is home to the flagship domestic STARZ® brand, STARZ ENCORE, 17 premium pay TV channels and the associated on-demand and online services, including the highly rated STARZ app. With the launch of the STARZPLAY international premium streaming platform and STARZ PLAY Arabia, Starz is expanding its global footprint in a growing number of territories. Sold through multichannel video distributors, including cable operators, satellite television providers, telecommunications companies, and other online and digital platforms, Starz offers subscribers more than 7,500 distinct premium television episodes and feature films, including STARZ Original series, first-run movies and other popular programming.
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a “best of global SVOD” content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with U.S. audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
- Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
- Annual discretionary bonus and merit increase
- Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
- 401(k) company matching
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
$109,000 - $140,700
Lionsgate is an equal employment opportunity employer. All employees and applicants are evaluated on the basis of their qualifications, consistent with applicable state and federal laws. In addition, Lionsgate will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. Lionsgate will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and federal law.