Sr. UI Designer
Posted: Jul 15, 2020
Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. provides continuous glucose monitoring technology to help patients and their clinicians better manage diabetes. Since our inception, we have focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions for people with diabetes - while empowering our community to take control of diabetes.
You will use design to help improve the lives of our users. As a member of the Product Design team, you will be creating compelling experiences and promoting User Experience Design across Dexcom. You will follow the principles of user-centric design thinking, with a focus on making data meaningful and actionable for our users. You will be engaged in a wide variety of tactical and strategic activities. You will help to ensure a cohesive visual identity is integrated throughout the development process. You will help us leverage our Design System, from high level structures down to the single details of Sketch Symbols/Overrides, Components and Libraries. You will help us expand Design Ops and how the team can work more effectively using Abstract's design version control system & Sketch. Your work will impact all digital products across the Dexcom ecosystem. You will work closely with our User Research and Human Factors teams to build prototypes for user testing, then iterate based on the findings.
About the team:
We are a multi-disciplinary team of user experience designers, industrial designers, visual designers, user researchers and instructional designers. We collaborate closely with each other, the engineering team, and product management. Our work informs and transforms the power of Dexcom's innovative Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) into intuitive interactions and experiences for people with diabetes. We operate on the forefront of digital health, leveraging the power of data to help improve the lives of patients, caregivers and healthcare providers. We create highly usable products that make a true impact on millions of people around the world who are affected by diabetes. We are passionate about quality, usability, simplicity, and actionability. We work to provide delightful and accessible products. We address complex user needs, including the display of data and insights across multiple software and hardware platforms. The design team has offices in San Diego and Portland, and works remotely with designers around the world.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be an advocate for the needs of our customers.
- Create visual experiences that speak to consumers, with great attention to detail.
- Build UI components that align with our overall design language and comply with our accessibility standards.
- Consistently refine the Dexcom design language, visual design documentation, style guides, and specifications.
- Continuously demonstrate mastery in the formal elements of design: color, layout, balance, proportion, rhythm, typography, iconography, emphasis, and unity.
- Push forward new design ideas proactively and take ownership of tasks and products.
- Collaborate closely with R&D to make sure developers are given all needed visual design specs, then ensure that designs are implemented as intended across iOS, Android and Web apps.
- Guide and lead others to make visual design decisions for mobile/wearable interfaces, making sure that other teams understand and follow our design principles and usage.
- Build clickable prototypes for our User Research and Human Factors teams.
- Translate research findings into design recommendations and communicate results to interdisciplinary project teams.
- Assist with projects planning and resourcing.
- Fluent in Sketch and associated plugins.
- Advanced knowledge of designing for mobile apps, Design Systems and experience using Material Design or iOS HIG. Understanding the challenges building products that need to serve iOS and Android platforms with speaking one holistic design language.
- Experience building reusable and dynamic Sketch components that translate into shareable Sketch libraries.
- Outstanding attention to detail. If you are the kind of person that can become nit-picky on a pixel level and start feeling uncomfortable when paddings/margins "don't look right", you will be at home here.
- Excited to learn. Up-to-date knowledge of design toolset and trends. Interest in new technology and software for improved design efficiency and quality.
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies. Familiar with breaking down visual designs into Epics and Stories.
- Strong communication skills. Able to discuss tradeoffs between design options. Able to communicate ideas and designs to wider audiences.
- Advanced critical thinking. Willingness to ask, "Why are we doing this?" and apply problem-solving skills.
- Effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines.
- Ability to take ownership and lead product development.
- Ability to work in a structured corporate environment.