Hudson River Trading: TradeOps Developer - Python at Hudson River Trading (New York, NY) (New York, NY)
Posted: Sep 13, 2019
The Trading Operations (TradeOps) team is responsible for managing HRT's live trading environment. We play a role in everything that HRT does to create and maintain the most robust and efficient trading platform in the world. A TradeOps Developer might work on Ops-specific tools, take on development projects with Core or Algo, or tackle challenges facing other areas of the company. Project areas include: market access, monitoring and compliance, algo/strategy evaluation and management, performance tuning, and trading automation. Anything that would touch our globally distributed production environment is fair game!
Being a TradeOps Developer means working on a tight-knit, highly productive team. You’ll be in charge of designing new systems that impact the whole company, debugging mission critical software under time pressure, hacking your way through old scripts, and reviewing pull requests -- all in a day’s work. We release a lot of code (usually daily, sometimes hourly!) that reaches into every department and every office at HRT. As a TradeOps Developer you'll establish a deep knowledge of Python, C++, OS internals, CPU architecture, network hardware and protocol, individual market behavior, firm risk controls/risk management, algorithm design, and strategy management.
We're looking for someone who loves technology and wants to work on a broad range of projects using whatever tool(s) best solve the problem at hand. Excellent communication is a must, along with a can-do attitude.
- Excellent design, debugging and problem solving skills
- Some experience in C++ and Python is great (not required), but good CS fundamentals and enthusiasm about learning C++ and Python is required
- Knowledge of UNIX operating systems (we use Linux), system/processor performance, and network communication
- You attained a Bachelor’s in Computer Science or have commensurate experience
- You are adept in at least one higher level language such as Python (preferred) or C++
- You have experience working with databases (SQL, MongoDB, Redis)
- You can analyze and fix problems quickly
- You can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better
- You really like to work with people who challenge you and make you better at what you do
- You have excellent communication skills and a willingness to admit mistakes
- Experience with (or a strong interest in learning!) UI Design / PyQt / HTML / CSS
- Write automation jobs in Python that support the mechanics of our global trading network
- Write deployment and monitoring systems (everything from the backend processes to the user-visible desktop GUIs) in Python to help our real-time analysts discover and investigate internal and external outages
- Develop tools to reduce the errors and manual labour of our daily operations
- Develop integrations with our C++ code to reduce the need for code duplication across teams
- Work with other teams at HRT to ensure that their technical solutions will work cohesively and at scale
Hudson River Trading brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we are mathematicians, computer scientists, statisticians, physicists and engineers. We research and develop automated trading algorithms using advanced mathematical techniques. We have a fun and casual office atmosphere, but everyone works diligently to get the job done. We boast a flat management structure as all our people are motivated by the excitement of being at the forefront of the automated trading world. No politics or red tape impede the generation or implementation of ideas.