GoCanvas: UX Designer at GoCanvas (Reston, VA) (Reston, VA)
Posted: Feb 11, 2019
Mid / Sr UX Designer
The GoCanvas UX team is looking at add another rockstar to our product innovation team. We are seeking a mid to senior level UX Designer to help champion for our users through the product development lifecycle and beyond. As a product-forward company, we focus on our customers and users, and we believe this particular role is essential in helping to meet our customers’ needs and expectations and to assist in delighting them with truly exceptional user experience.
As a UX Designer, you will collaborate with our team of other UX designers, visual designers, interaction designers, and user researchers to understand our audience, both inside and out. You'll help to develop engineering-ready specifications, such as wireframes, mockups, and other assets as part of an Agile development process. You will contribute to building incredible experiences for both native and web applications that are used by thousands all over the world. In addition, you will contribute to the quarterly product road-mapping process, engage in our long-term strategy conversations and partner with PMs and other stakeholders to ensure our development plans are aligned with our customer needs. In short, this isn't just a designer position. Each member of the team helps push HCD thinking into the product, the company strategy and the long-term goals of our organization.
Your Most Important Initiatives
- Understand, empathize, and represent our users throughout all aspects of the product development lifecycle
- Prioritize user research, exploratory design work, validation work, and specification development as needed to meet all development milestones
- Maintain and design for user personas, user mental models, and design principles
- Continuously improve information architecture, design patterns, and interaction design
- Plan design work and project manage asset development several iterations ahead
- Deliver all assets necessary to maintain high product development throughput including web, mobile, and desktop mockups, wireframes, UX flows, and other graphical/visual elements working very closely with product managers
What You Bring
- 4+ years as a hands-on UX designer
- 2+ years working on functional interactive software applications
- An eye for design with exceptional attention to detail
- Familiarity with Design and Prototyping software such as Sketch, Adobe XD, Axure, Omnigraffle or equivalent
- Experience working in an agile/lean software development environment
- Bachelor’s degree or better from a top university with an educational focus on HCI or similar discipline
- Empathy for and relentless focus on customers and their desires, thinking, constraints, opportunities, etc.
- Strong interest in product design, up to speed on the latest trends, immersed in industry best practices
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organization and with end users
- Technical acumen, awareness of front-end code capabilities and constraints across all standard form factors
- Value data over opinions, observations over hearsay, validation over assumptions, and actions/change over the status quo
- Ability to make decisions using a combination of quantitative and qualitative data when available, and to rely on acquired design judgment when unavailable
- Extremely high attention to detail in producing and polishing design deliverables
- Desire to be a part of a team that’s just as passionate as you
So, What’s GoCanvas?
GoCanvas is a mobile platform that makes it simple for businesses to automate how work is done, replacing outdated processes and expensive paperwork. The GoCanvas App works on smartphones and tablets, helping companies easily collect information across their organization, share it instantly with others and gain real-time insight on their business operations. GoCanvas can be easily customized by all types of businesses to empower their workforce, unleashing the value in data across the organization to help better connect with colleagues and engage more effectively with customers. Automating millions of workplace activities for well-known brands like UnderArmour, Pepsi, Honda, and Red Bull means there's a good chance you have been around someone using GoCanvas in the past 24 hours, making us one of the fastest growing mobile platforms in the world!
Our recent achievements as an organization include but are not limited to: being named by Deloitte as one of the “Fast 500 Technology Companies” in both 2017 and 2018, coming in at #261 in 2018 for 331% company growth, our second year in a row winning Best in Biz Awards; Gold for “Fastest Growing Company” and Silver for the “Best Places to Work”, we were also featured as a winner in the 2018 “DCA Live Red Hot Companies”, and last but definitely not least by The Muse, in the article “26 Companies That Celebrate Diversity”!
Everyone, from top-ranking executives to newly-hired employees, is passionate about helping businesses function better with technology. The team has attained what few can by successfully blending a driven and fast-paced workforce with an open, supportive attitude that has contributed much to the company’s overall growth.
We’re on a mission to continue fostering an amazing culture for people who like to make an impact and enjoy collaborating!
What GoCanvas Brings
We believe hiring the right people is THE most important thing we do. We take our company values seriously and look for these traits in everyone we hire: Empathy, Innovation, Authenticity, Impactful, Team Player and Cheeky/Fun Loving. We believe in giving people the freedom to get things done, but that they should also have accountability for their key metrics, think and act like owners of our business and be able to work in a flat organizational structure. We provide an environment that allows for innovation and creativity as well as a chance for highly motivated individuals to have fun at work.
Based in Reston, Virginia, we have an amazing open office with unlimited snacks, free drinks, and collaboration areas. To better help us revolutionize how work gets done around the globe, we also have offices in London and Sydney. You can learn more about recent activities on our blog updates and our cultural values on our CEO blog.
While we believe culture trumps perks, we are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits package designed to meet our team members’ needs.
- Competitive Compensation
- Entrepreneurial Vacation Policy (sometimes known as unlimited vacation)
- 13 Company-Paid Holidays, which rotate annually, but always include Earth Day and one other day significant to GoCanvas, such as Steve Jobs’ birthday
- An ideal Reston Town Center location with an abundance of FREE covered parking, dozens of restaurants, 45 retail stores, a movie theater, outdoor concerts, all within walking distance of the office
- Company-Subsidized healthy lunches
- Medical Insurance, where the Employee Only level of coverage is free!
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account depending upon your medical plan selection
- Basic Term Life Insurance and Personal Accident Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- 401k plan with employer match
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Parental Leave
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
No 3rd party recruiting firms submitting candidates from job sites