Posted: Apr 27, 2021
About the Role
This role is open to UX digital product designers only, who are able to submit a link to a portfolio comprised of their demonstrated contributions in the design of SAAS, internal tools, and/or enterprise solutions.
The UX/UI Designer role is an essential support role within our Design team at Flatirons. This individual assists and independently contributes to the Director of UX and Director of Product's joint vision for all products. They are interdisciplinary visionaries, and act as the right hand to our Director of UX to drive the future and vision of our product. When they aren't designing beautiful, intuitive digital experiences, they are communicating with clients and internal team members, conduct onsite research, and create design documentation. They collaborate with other Flatirons teams, including but not limited to Project Managers, Program Managers, Business Analysts, Product Architects, Quality Control, and Tech teams.
The UX/UI Designer consistently delivers high quality solutions on-time and on-budget. This individual also acts as a Design POC for ongoing projects, and has a desire to grow into a senior level role and mentor future team members.
If you are applying to this role, you are a U.S. citizen and experienced UX/UI designer with a portfolio of multiple implementations of cross-channel digital products or thought-provoking interactive projects within which you played an active role in both the visual and interaction design. You bring knowledge and expertise of the nuances of working alongside an agile software development team, rapid prototyping is a fluid part of your process, and you regularly include thoughtful micro-interactions into your proposed solutions. Most importantly, you're a people person. You're great with clients and selling your work is a natural part of your process. You collaborate with other teams as a regular part of your workflow, possessing a thorough understanding of how your designs translate to their technical implementation.
Ever hopped on an airplane and thought, "these seats look new," or, "I wonder what the folks on the ground next to the plane are working on"? The next time you fly, the seat you sit in could be one of many items a crew member recently upgraded under the guidance of one of our products. The folks performing checks or maintenance on the ground could be referencing the product you helped to build and implement on their iPad.
As an essential partner to the aerospace and defense community, we create digital products essential to commercial airline and engine manufacturer maintenance crews, complying with rigorous brand standards and FAA guidelines, and interacting with end users from Rolls-Royce, United Airlines, British Airways, American Airlines, and other recognizable names across the aerospace and defense industry. Over the past year, our mission has been to take our existing products and strategically shift to an omnichannel, adaptive framework, optimizing our offering for today's users through strong visual design, human-centered interactions, and simplified workflows. Your role within our team will be to drive projects, collaborating with team members and clients along the way to produce high quality enhancements which strengthen our products across a variety of devices and unique real world scenarios. Your work will directly support the tasks performed by commercial and military personnel to operate $200,000,000 aircraft safely and efficiently!
Perks of the Job
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Happy hours at local microbreweries
- Cyclists welcome! We have ample bike storage, are located next to a bike path, and are just minutes from Valmont Bike Park.
- Unlimited coffee and snacks from our stocked kitchen
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Breathtaking views of the Flatirons from our East Boulder office
- Team outings
- A leadership team with a small company feel, passionate about helping our colleagues grow to their fullest potential
- A culture which has always promoted work-life balance, far before the pandemic brought us to a fully remote working capacity
- Loads of whiteboard space for creative sketching and brainstorming
- Ability to put yourself in the headspace of our users, advocate for them, and articulate clear and impactful solutions
- Work closely with the Director of UX and secondarily with partners in Engineering, Product, and those closest to the customer to understand scope and requirements
- Maintain design systems and style guides
- Identify use cases, edge cases, user roles and journeys
- Conceptualize high level solutions using whiteboarding, sketching, and wireframes
- Optimize the usability of existing features by assessing the existing flows and behaviors of the system, and identifying gaps with industry standard approaches and methodologies
- Collaborate with development team to propose valid, feasible solutions
- Present proposed mockup solutions to clients and internal stakeholders
- Able to document UX and front-end requirements for proposed feature solutions
- Work autonomously, focusing on priorities, without losing sight of the big picture
- Familiar with agile software development
- Understand the needs of the business by leveraging a good, better, best approach as needed
- Learn, grow, and be challenged
- Create, ideate, and execute
- BFA or BA in Graphic Design or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience through non-linear design career path.
- 5+ years design experience delivering full solutions for complex web and mobile applications
- Resourceful, self-starting individual with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to execute in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Highly skilled in interaction design, information architecture, and data visualization
- Ability to maintain and apply established styles and patterns
- Success on both blank-slate initiatives and on projects for established platforms and products
- Familiarity with agile software development
- Proficient in Sketch, InVision, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with common framework and component libraries such as Bootstrap and Angular
- Familiarity and experience in using Atlassian products (JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience leveraging JIRA throughout the lifecycle of a project
This opportunity is temporarily remote, and available to U.S. citizens only.
Salary Range Disclaimer
The salary range for this role represents the low and high ends of the Flatirons Solutions salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below this range based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of the total compensation package for employees.
$60,000-90,000 per year
Flatirons Solutions provides equal employment opportunities without regard to gender, race, national origin, religion, age, disability, or veteran status.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this role, you must provide:
- A link to your portfolio of UX/UI digital product focused work
- Your resume or CV
- A cover letter