Posted: Jun 10, 2021
Reporting to the Director of Digital Experience, the Web Designer is responsible for all design activities related to Nasco Education's websites. In addition, this position will support design activities on an as-needed basis for emails, social media, and other areas as required. The Web Designer works with cross-functional teams to ensure the digital experience is on-brand, reflective of Nasco Education's strategic priorities, aesthetically pleasing, optimized, accessible, and mobile.
Web Design: Creates and applies high-quality web design assets/content/elements for use on Nasco websites, including but not limited to our ecommerce, digital curriculum, and content/blog websites. Works collaboratively with UI/UX Designer, Web Merchandiser, and others to update and enhance web content, including the development and presentation of UI mockups. Uses SAP Hybris to update web pages with new content. Creates and updates website HTML and CSS to ensure consistent visual styling and desktop/tablet/mobile responsiveness. Designs UI elements, like menus, tabs, and widgets. Uses data and analytics in making design decisions. Applies SEO principles as appropriate to improve accessibility and search engine rankings. Selects and prepares imagery. Carefully follows protocols for maintaining design assets in PIM/DAM systems. Above all, is passionate and motivated to improve the digital experience for our customers.
Branding: In collaboration with the Creative Services team, defines Web Style Guide in sync with the Nasco style guide and ensures documentation of all best practices, policies, and procedures related to web/digital design. Ensures execution is on-brand. Applies a consistent look/feel across Nasco's web/digital presence.
Accessibility: Creates and updates website HTML/CSS and uses monitoring tools for ADA compliance and proper accessibility per WCAG and Section 508 standards.
Emerging trends: Tracks and understands emerging design trends and best practices. Attends relevant UWEBC events.
Other Support: Provides design support for email, social media, and other areas as required.
- 3-5 years of professional web design experience with a strong preference for ecommerce
- Bachelor's degree in web design or a relevant field
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (e.g., InDesign, XD, Photoshop, Dreamweaver)
- Knowledgeable of UI/UX principles, SEO best practices, and cross-browser compatibility issues
- Experience working within a CMS or ecommerce platform (SAP Hybris preferred); has a technical understanding of the underlying platforms and tools used to build and maintain web content
- Portfolio of web design work that demonstrates applied knowledge of current design trends
- Strong command of color theory, image composition, and typography
- Proficiency converting design concepts into page templates
- Wireframing/prototyping experience
- Ability to deliver production-ready digital assets in a wide variety of formats
- Excellent time-management skills; comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Positive, collaborative team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Resourceful, independent, and self-motivated with a bias toward action and results
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy